Crumb Coat And Buttercream

Decorating By kjxoxo1 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:53am by mamawrobin

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 6

Let me premise this question by saying I'm very new to baking cakes. My question is-- is their a different icing used for crumb coating versus the final buttercream frosting coating. Also what is the consistency in thickness for the crumb coat. Should it be thin?

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 6

You certainly don't want the icing to be too thick for the crumbcoat. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and I use the same consistency for crumbcoating and icing but it's never thick.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 6

Yup, the difference is mainly how thick the coating is. The idea of a crumbcoat is to catch the crumbs up in the icing and hold them so they don't show when you do the thicker final coat. Once I crumbcoat I let my cake settle for at least 3 hours so any filling that needs to sploosh out will do so and then I can smooth it down before icing with the final coating.

Cat

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 6

I haven,t crumb coated a cake in 15 yrs. After my classes, i read an articlel by famous cake decorator, that you are wasting your time crumb coating. Keep your spatula on top of icing, and never touch your cake with it. No crumbs. If you crumb coat , that is ok. I learned not to. If you put enough icing, and it moves good for you, (not too thick) then you don,t have to crumb coat.

kjxoxo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjxoxo1 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much. I think that in my first cake the icing may have been too thick. I crumb coated first and then put the final icing on but the icing was kinda hard so I had to mix it again but in looking back I probably should have made the icing thinner. Plus I had problems smoothing the icing. I don't want to give up!!!!! Thanks so much for all of you guys input!!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I haven,t crumb coated a cake in 15 yrs. After my classes, i read an articlel by famous cake decorator, that you are wasting your time crumb coating. Keep your spatula on top of icing, and never touch your cake with it. No crumbs. If you crumb coat , that is ok. I learned not to. If you put enough icing, and it moves good for you, (not too thick) then you don,t have to crumb coat.

When I use the big icer tip I don't crumbcoat. There isn't any need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%