I'm A Moron And I Need Your Help Please

Decorating By SugarKissesCakery Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 1:21am by SugarKissesCakery

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 9

OK, so this cake I'm making has been one disaster after another. Now I've discovered I've iced my 6 inch cake on top of a cake drum without a cardboard circle under it. Duh!!!! Now I need to stack it on my 10" cake. How in the world would you suggest I get the cardboard cake circle under there without ruining my beautiful icing job? Your tips would be greatly appreciated . . . and I guess you need to be real specific and simple in your description because I am a total moron today. Please help me!!!!!

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 9

No not a "maroon." (luv Bugs Bunny!)

just rushed, hassled, frazzled and learning.

Largest offset spatula (the one with the bend) slipped under the cake as close to dead center as possible

Lift gently

Steady with fingertip placed where repair will be easy

lower onto a cake circle

slide out spatula.

carefully done you should only have a small dent or two to repair and a bit of the bottom border.

remember -- every cake, just like us, has a backside! icon_rolleyes.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 9

Could you not slide something like a cake lifter/large spatula under your cake to lift it slightly off the drum, and slide the cake circle into the space? Then let the cake fall onto it? You might have to do a bit of damage repair but I think it would be minimal.
I love the word moron, and we all have moron days icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with the other two...use a large spatula and lift it onto a cake circle. Believe me we all do things like this every once in awhile. thumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 9

On a REALLY bad day, it's "a moron, wrapped in an idiot, and dipped in stupid". That's paraphrasing (and expanding upon) a phrase from Deborah on Everybody Loves Raymond.

SugarKissesCakery Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for your fast replies icon_smile.gif I'm worried the spatula will stick to the bottom of my cake and won't just slide off without me having to force it by holding the side of my cake. Ah! This is why I hate buttercream cakes. Fondant would be no problem.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 9

Chill it in the frig and then do the switch-a-roo? Should minimize repair if it is a crusting bc.

Good luck!

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 9

don't feel bad, a lot of have done this. In this circumstance, I have flash frozen the cake and then placed a cake board on the top, then fliped it over and put another cake board with a little bc on it on the bottom - flip back over. It's going to be fine. Deep - cleansing breath!

SugarKissesCakery Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much for all your help everyone. Today has been the worst cake day I've ever had. My 11 month old son must be getting teeth because he woke up from every nap and interrupted everything I began. This is only the third time I've ever attempted to do a buttercream cake and my first PAID buttercream cake. I prefer fondant because it is so much more forgivable. Imagine trying to quickly finish icing a cake because your baby is upstairs crying in his crib. Ahhh! No pressure! It feels great to know I have you "cake friends" to turn to should I have a question or cake emergency. You are awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%