Cricut Cake Decorator

Decorating By busyred Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:35am by Karen421

busyred Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone please tell me how to use this thing so that my gumpaste and/or fondant doesn't crinkle and cuts well??

Thank you

8 replies
lisamenz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 9

Here is a few of my tips. I love this machine. I was one of the ones that have gotten along with it very well from the begining icon_biggrin.gif I took a few classes and demos, before it came out. This really help me alot. Not to mention reading all the post here on CC, before I got mine, really help me greatly. Lightly crisco your cricut mat., don't over do it. Just enought for it to stick to , but not slide your medium around. Let is sit up a bit on the cricut mat to dry out a little, it does better this way. If you have a fondant that is not real fresh, it will cut better. Now I have used fondant, and really had no problems at all. Roll it out really thin, so you see the lines thru it almost, especially if your are doing intricate small cuts. Now set your speed, low or medium, and cut the same. I found out for me, that if you let the machine take its time cutting , it will do a really nice job. After I do my cut, I let it sit up still a little bit, about 10 minutes or so. Remove carefully with a fine small spatula tool. I hope this helps. There is alot of great information here on this subject. Happy Cake Decorating icon_wink.gif

mimido Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know how much help I can be , but with mine I roll out my fondant about as thin as a dime or nickel. Then I spread a generous amount of shortening on the cutting mat , then lay my fondant on it. Some people chill their fondant before they cutit, But I haven't had much luck with that method.

catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 9

Hi there..I use mine weekly with a fondant/tylose mix. I grease the cutting matt and then roll out the fondant with tylose right onto the matt to the thinness of a dime. Then I let it sit overnight before cutting it. This allows it to dry out just enough to get clean cuts. Another tip is to not cut fonts smaller than 1 inch or intricate cuts smaller than 3 inches. HTH

Cat

Karen421 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 9

Hi Busyred, I love my Cricut Cake! Try this thread, it will give you soooo much information!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-678490-success.html+cricut

neelycharmed Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 9

I'm with you. I think there is a learning curve to the machine, and I am getting better at it( trial and error and patience)
Jodi icon_smile.gif

Bakingangel Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Hi there..I use mine weekly with a fondant/tylose mix. I grease the cutting matt and then roll out the fondant with tylose right onto the matt to the thinness of a dime. Then I let it sit overnight before cutting it. This allows it to dry out just enough to get clean cuts. Another tip is to not cut fonts smaller than 1 inch or intricate cuts smaller than 3 inches. HTH

Cat

Hey, Cat -- When you let it sit out over night do you cover it or bag it in a 2 gal ziplock?

catlharper Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:13am
post #8 of 9

Nope...just leave it on the matt and let it air dry...I think if you put it in a baggie or cover it wouldn't dry out right.

Karen421 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:35am
post #9 of 9

I put a paper towel over mine - just to keep the dust off. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%