Karate Jr. Black Belt Cake

Decorating By subyu62 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm by redpanda

subyu62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subyu62 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 6

Okay all you brilliant cakers I really need ideas. My 9yo son will be getting a black belt in August. They do a simple celebration at the dojo. Usually it is a crappy supermarket cake with lots of black buttercream and whatever chips and such the parent provides. I need some ideas... I have already done a few cakes for them. I have done the jacket with belt, round cake with school logo and belt, 9 x 13 with piped figure taken from a photo, and a Z shaped cake with all belt colors leading up to black (students last name started with Z). Ther will be a few kids potentially getting promoted at the same time. I want this cake to be a little more special than the ones I have done for other people as it is for my son.

Any ideas?? the number of people could be 15 could be 40 no way to tell.

Please help me make this special for my son.

5 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6
subyu62 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:00am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Yummy... I had that cake saved at one point, lost it and was having a heck of a time finding it again.

All ideas are appreciated!

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:38am
post #4 of 6

I have a couple of black belt cakes in my gallery, including one with some really cute anime-ish kids made out of color-flow. (Kicking foot up on a sugar cube, so it comes out of the cake at you.) Another had two sugar cookies (cut to be people in karate stances), decorated to be black belts. There was a companion cake that I never got a picture of, which had cookies standing up on sticks, with each kid's name written on the cake in front of the cookie. The kids LOVED getting their cookie.

subyu62 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 6

Redpanda, I love the two Karate Kids cakes!! The color flow kids are adorable. Did you use clip art for that?? I wonder if I could make cookies on sticks as cute as you color flow?? Then I could put them on the top of the cake maybe??
I think I'll check out some karate coloring pages and see what I can find.

Thank you so much for sharing those pictures.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 6

It was an image I found online. I found the original image on my computer. I'll PM it to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%