Tested Done, But Wasn't . . . Any Ideas?

Decorating By PDXSweetTreats Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm by PDXSweetTreats

PDXSweetTreats Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, just bought two 9" round pans the other day. Generally, I use a heating core for 10" and up, and I haven't had any problems with using nothing on 8" and under. However, yesterday I tried my new cake pans out and used a butter cake recipe and baked the two 9" at the same time. Didn't use a heating core or flower nail, as I thought they'd be okay.

Tested each with toothpicks (in the center and sides) and also a cake tester (little metal skewer job); all came out "clean." One cake was done earlier than the other, but when I cut the tops off to level them, they were both gooey in the centers.

Any ideas why they would "test" done and yet not be?

Also, I've been reading here on CC about using a flower nail upside down in the center and have been thinking about trying that today. But, doesn't that leave an impression on the bottom when you pull the nail out?

MANY thanks for any advice/tips. I really appreciate the help and advice from those of you with much more experience!!!

2 replies
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 3

Sometimes cakes can do that to you...this is why I level each cake so I can SEE what the middle actually looks like. So a question for you...did you bake at 325 for a little longer? Sounds like you bake larger cakes so I'm sure that's a wasted question but just in case...

As for the flower nail..yup, it leaves a little impression but that coveres right up with the crumbcoat so no worries.

Cat

PDXSweetTreats Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 3

Hi, Cat --

Yes, I did bake them at 325 degrees, and even then it took just over an hour (a tad longer for one of them). I typically use the lower setting, even for smaller cakes, and up until yesterday, it's been working fine. For the third layer, I used the convection setting, but that 9" got WAY too done (I think I was being over-cautious after the first two were under-done) -- so was a pretty frustrating day. (Usually, this is the easy part for me.)

I'll try the flower nail; hopefully, that will help.

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%