Mosaic Cake "grouting"

Decorating By Zencakes Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm by sillymoo84

Zencakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever done a mosiac cake? If so, how long should you wait before you "grout" the fondant tiles? and how would you do this??? I promised a mosaic cake for Tuesday... icon_eek.gif Opps should have thought this through!

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

I think I would probably use icing and a round tip to fill in the grouted areas. I wouldn't think you'd really have to wait any time to do it after you placed all the tiles on the cake.

yummy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 6

What are you making the tiles out of? What are you icing the cake with?

I would think if your icicg the cake in bc and the tile out of fondant, if you roll the fondant real thin you probably won't need to do grout.

If your making the tiles out of isomalt, they would be certain thickness and you could probably grout with bc in a piping bag.

Don't quote me, just a thought.

Doug Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 6

personally, I'd ice the cake the the color I want the grout to be.

then I'd place my fondant tiles on top

then I'd place viva over it and use a fondant smoother to push tiles into icing.

Crabbabs Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 6

I tried this once on a small cake. I cut out pieces of fondant and "glued them on with icing leaving a space of about 1/8" between the pieces. Then, instead of covering all the pieces with icing and then wiping it off leaving the icing in the grooves (like you would with real tile and grout) I used a round #4 tip (I think) and piped into all of the grooves, then I went around with a paintbrush to smooth and flatten the grout lines and removing any excess. I didn't wait between doing the tiles and the grout.

sillymoo84 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with crabbabs re using the paintbrush, the effect is a lot tidier

Quote by @%username% on %date%