Do You Only Sell Decorated Cakes?

Business By KayMc Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm by minicuppie

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 10

I just applied for a license in order to be able to bake/sell cakes from my house. This will be a side business, as I work full time. I am reading references, in order to learn the science/art of cake baking better. The book, The Cake Bible, made me wonder how many of you bake cakes that are not decorated, but are a really wonderful, deliscious cake. I mean a cake that isn't able to be decorated with the bc, RI, or gumpaste decorations.

9 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 10

I do a mean lemon drizzle cake! Its based on a Nigella Lawson recipe. Its really moist because you add loads of lemon syrup to it when its still hot and in the pan. I only decorate it with a glace icing drizzled quickly over the top and dripping down the sides.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 10

I make a lemom-poppy seed cake that gets only a lemon syrup and lemon rind curls.

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 10

I'm a Sp. Ed. Teacher in my day job, so I only do the decorative cakes. I used to do the undecorated ones as well, but it became an issue of time v. money for me. I can easily earn in one decorative cake the cost of 4+ undecorated ones. So for me, the decorative cakes won. Teaching is a take home job, so I just don't have the time to do a lot of undecorated cakes while making little money from them.

It's a good thing that you're thinking about this because caking is time consuming. At times it can be rough balancing it with a full-time job.

HTH,

Kim

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 10

the only non-decorated thing I'd sell are cheesecakes, which I don't even advertise that I make (though I'm told I should). I mean, I can do regular cakes in my sleep by now, but somehow I dont' find them quite as "fun"

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 10

They want it, I make it. Sometimes there is a need for a cake for a small get together that the hostess just doesn't have time to do herself. My theory is that if they know how awesome my cakes taste, then they will come back when they need a showpiece too. Usually these cakes end up costing as much as a fully decorated one though! But I agree it depends on the time you have to devote to it too.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:32am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for all your input. There's a huge part of me that thinks I'm crazy, because I'm already pretty overworked. Am I nuts? icon_confused.gif

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #8 of 10

Aren't we all a little nuts? icon_cool.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana_marta

They want it, I make it.

Ditto on that! Lemon (or orange) pound cake with lemon (or orange) glaze & fresh fruit? It's all yours. Coffee cake using my Gram's recipe (seriously the best coffee cake I've EVER had)? Have at it.
As long as I've got a delicious recipe for it and a customer wants to buy it, I have no problem at all making & selling something "undecorated."

Now if only I could make apple pie as amazing as my sister's, I'd be freakin' rich. She gave me her recipe but mine never turn out like hers. icon_sad.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 10

I have a hard time price matching on the "regular" cakes. The supermarket bakeries do a pretty good job around here. I do have some regular customers that don't want "all those additives". My Tuxedo cake is my best seller..... lots of bang for the buck, ya know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%