Satin Ice Is The Bomb (Great Story)

Decorating By kimbordeaux Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm by Kitagrl

kimbordeaux Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 7

I emailed Satin Ice last week asking if they had changed anything with their fondant because I was having great difficulty with the last three 20lb buckets I purchased. I told them that no matter what I did it was tearing, cracking and getting elephant skin and that I have not had these problems in the past with Satin Ice.

Almost every cake I make is covered with fondant, Satin Ice fondant. I told them if I keep having these problems I cannot continue to use Satin Ice. They wrote me back wanting my name, #, address and batch #s. Well, I don't keep empty buckets laying around, only had 1/2 bucket left so I gave that batch # along with the other info they requested.

Guess what? Yesterday UPS drops off a 20lb white Satin Ice! I was in shock. I emailed Satin Ice back to tell them of my suprise and happiness at their great customer relations. I told them thanks for caring about their customers because it makes a difference and that I was going to tell my story on CC.

This is what they wrote back:

"Hey Kim, Surprise!!! To answer your question, when we changed equipment some months ago we had to reduce the amt of corm syrup in the SI due to the machinery running hotter. When we started having issues (??), we went back to the original mixer and old recipe so all should be good. Would you like to try our new BUTTERCREAM flavored fondant??? IT IS BEYOND FABALOUS.

Satin Ice made me feel good about them!

6 replies
apetricek Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 7

WOW I have been having the same problems with most of my 20 pound buckets lately. I thought that I was just getting bad ones or older ones?
I actually have a couple of my buckets since I mix colors and put them in baggies and then store them in there. I think I may email them too and see where I get thanks for the tip...

mpetty Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 7

That IS great customer service! It's also good to know that so many people were not going crazy when they suddenly started having issues with SI.

CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 7

I wish I could find the thread, but they posted the story of their new equipment problems on here, and to let everyone know that the issue was fixed.

kimbordeaux Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 7

I wish I would have known that before I had mental breakdown 2 weeks ago. I had 3 orders that weekend and couldn't get my fondant to work. I pulled it off of wedding cake 3xs! I was feeling horrible because I didn't want to ruin anyone's wedding or birthday. I ended up trying to hide all the cracks and elephant skin. The customers were still pleased with cakes but I wasn't. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Never had problems before with Satin Ice. I feel better now that I know it wasn't anything I was doing.

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 7

That's great that it worked out for you!

It's too bad that a number of other CCrs have not had as great as customer service as you. Many of them have been told they have to send back their bad batches of SI at their own expense and have encountered some not so nice Customer service reps.

Honestly, I don't plan on using it for a while.

Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

Wow. Well that's nice for you but I tried emailing them about the Satin Ice problems and wanted to try the new buttercream kind too and they never replied. icon_sad.gif

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned I had to use FondX instead of Satin Ice because of the problem.....

Glad you had a good experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%