Freezing A Cake For Only 2-3 Hours. Worth It??

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm by mamawrobin

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 6

I have a ganache covered cake due on Saturday. This morning, I wanted to torte and fill my dress mold cake so that it could settle by the time I went to ice it with ganache. When I torted it, I discovered that the center was RAW! icon_eek.gif

SOOOO, I had to rebake that cake, this time making absolute sure it was done. I tested it with a long skewer from all different angles, and it appears done.

I pulled the cake from the oven, and decided to freeze it for a couple of hours, until I torte and fill...wait for about 4 hours and then ice and let set overnight. Is freezing for a couple of hours going to give the same sort of stability, as when I freeze cakes overnight?? Was it worth putting it in the freezer, or should I just go ahead and torte now??

TIA!

5 replies
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 6

It won't give the same stability but it should be pretty stable for you. I always torte before I freeze anyways, so either way will work.

Cat

indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

I always freeze my cakes at least 3-4 hours. OVernight is preferred, but if I'm crunched for time, at least 3-4 hours. Yeah ... it makes a difference.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 6

TY!

raquel1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, it is worth it, even for a short amount of time if that is all you got.

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I always freeze my cakes at least 3-4 hours. OVernight is preferred, but if I'm crunched for time, at least 3-4 hours. Yeah ... it makes a difference.

I do the same. In some of my older post I've said over and over "I freeze my cakes even if I'm going to use them the same/next day. I agree..it makes a difference. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%