Best Icing For Fur For A Bear Cake

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm by LisaPeps

LisaPeps Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to be making a bear cake in the next couple of weeks. Its a vanilla madeira cake. For the filling I'm toying with the idea of a passion fruit/ mango filling (Macsmom recipe) and then buttercream and covered with fondant with the icing piped on top of the fondant to look like fur. What I want to know is the best icing to use for the fur... I have a few options.

1) White chocolate ganache (Mmm love it and it goes so well with vanilla cake, but I don't know how well it would set and hold up for transporting and will it pipe?????)
2) Fudge Icing (Though I'd need to source a good recipe)
3) Royal Icing (Will it taste good????)
4) Buttercream (Will it stick to the fondant? Will it hold up when transporting? Will it melt?)

And any other suggestions are very very much welcome!
LL

8 replies
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 9

Ganache will pipe and so will just plain melted white chocolate. They both set nicely (the plain chocolate might be a little hard and you have to keep "re-softening" it) and stick to a fondant base very well. Buttercream will work fine but will not harden. If it's the crusting kind, the surface will, but it will be soft on the inside (which might be exactly what you want!). If the weather's extemely hot and the party is to be outdoors, buttercream might melt, unless you use an all-shortening recipe (like Indydebi's and Sugarshack's buttercream recipes here on CC). Royal icing pipes the best, but gets rock hard and, in my opinion, tastes awful. Personally, I would go with either ganache or buttercream. Your cake sounds delicious, by the way. Best of luck with it!

DeezTreatz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 9

That is the cutest little bear cake ever! Good luck!

ddaigle Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 9

I wouldn't cover in fondant. Not necessary. The fur effect has been done with a star tip instead of the traditional grass tip. If the bear is going to be in the heat, use an all shortening based icing instead of a butter based. Good luck...post pics!

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I wouldn't cover in fondant. Not necessary. The fur effect has been done with a star tip instead of the traditional grass tip. If the bear is going to be in the heat, use an all shortening based icing instead of a butter based. Good luck...post pics!

I agree. What's the purpose of the fondant? You can accent the feet or whatever with it, but just pipe stars or grass tip with bc directly onto the cake.

TucsonGina Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 9

I used all-shortening, crusting buttercream on the airplane in my photos and it held up great. No need to put fondant on first. I used either tip 17 or 21.

Marianna46 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 9

I totally agree with the posters who say you don't need to cover your cake with fondant. I was just thinking about how to achieve the furry effect and not thinking about the overall job! But, really, just a good crumbcoat (I'm a great fan of ganache for this, but buttercream works just fine if the weather's not too hot), fondant accents where needed, and straight on to the fur! Doing it this way will save you both work and the cost of the fondant. Also agree with those who say "Send pics!". Really cool use of the cross-shaped pan on your plane there, TucsonGina!

LisaPeps Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 9

I think I'll go for white chocolate ganache crumb coat then pipe it onto the crumb coat and omit the fondant. Thanks for your help!

Do I need to pipe it in a few stages? Let it set and then carry on? Because if you look on this cake, the first few rows of piping have squished a bit, the cake looks great regardless of that problem but I'm a perfectionist and if I can remedy it I would like to ^_^

Cake by rondasnyder
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%