Corn Syrup

Decorating By KayMc Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm by TexasSugar

KayMc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 7

Since I'm going to be making my first batch of fondant over the weekend (at least that's my plan), I went to Giant today to get corn syrup. Giant is the largest grocery chain in our area. They only carry LIGHT corn syrup, and I know that's unable to be used w/ fondant. I sure hope I don't have trouble buying the real thing. Who woulda thought?

6 replies
SuzyNoQ Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 7

I've always used the light, it is almost clear, the regular corn syrup is brown and would probably discolor a white (or other light color) the way a dark vanilla would.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 7

You want the light corn syrup. Light is used in terms of color here, not anything else.

SuzyNoQ Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

I've always used the light, it is almost clear, the regular corn syrup is brown and would probably discolor a white (or other light color) the way a dark vanilla would.

KayMc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 7

Wow, am I obviously off base here! I thought light was in terms of lower sugar or something. icon_redface.gif Thanks for clarifying this for me!

mamawrobin Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 7

Just like the others have said "light" is in reference to the color of the fondant...not the calories. icon_lol.gif You DO want "Light Corn Syrup" for making your fondant thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Wow, am I obviously off base here! I thought light was in terms of lower sugar or something. icon_redface.gif Thanks for clarifying this for me!

I figured that is what you were thinking. icon_smile.gif Everything is that is termed light is about sugar content. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%