Is It Or Would It Be Ok

Decorating By live2create Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm by TexasSugar

live2create Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a cake with gumpaste flowers and I would like to put a pearl in the middle of the flower, not a gumpaste or fondant, but what you would sew onto a wedding dress. I am planningn on entering the dummy cake into our fair, and I am not sure just how up to date some of these judges are. It not like you would be eating the gumpaste flower and I really like the look of the pearl verses the gumpaste or fondant. Just wondering what some of you CC think.

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 9

What are the rules?

I don't know about fair rules, but in alot of contest/competations they do not want inedible items on the cake. You can do wires with the flowers, but alot of the time plastics aren't allowed in the cake design.

dchockeyguy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 9

TexasSugar is right. You need to read the rules carefully about what is allowed. And keep in mind that in most shows, you would have to tell them what everything is made of. I know most judges will deduct points (or not give as many) for using a "real" one instead of making it yourself. So be prepared for that.

leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 9

It's so easy to make a pearl, or even buy them.

live2create Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the help and advice, I knew in my heart I should make them and dusting them with luster dust will make them look just like the craft ones.

moralna Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 9

You can also buy edible pearls.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 9

I think it is safer for you to do that. You'd rather take the time, though they are quick and easy, to do that extra step then do the plastic/bead version and get knocked points.

LuluSweetArt Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 9

Why not try the edible pearls? You can buy them in a variety of sizes and they look just like the real thing.

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 9

You can also make them quickly with some fondant and pearl dust. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%