Royal Icing On Fondant For Monogram?

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm by Montrealconfections

MariaK38 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I"m making some shaped discs of fondant (buttercream MMF recipe from this board) and putting initials on them. Some I've cut out another piece of fondant for the letter, some I've stamped the letter on to make an "impression," and some I'd like to put a script type letter on.
Can I pipe royal icing directly on a piece of fresh cut fondant? Or should I wait until the fondant is dry and pipe it on? Or, should I let both dry (pipe the royal on wax paper first) and then attach it?
I have the Wilton cut out letters (not crazy about them, but they'll work for now). I just wanted something fancier and don't want to invest in another set.
What is the best way to do this so that it will come out right? These are for the tops of buttercream iced cupcakes.
Thanks! Maria

2 replies
tracycakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 3

Sure, you can pipe royal straight on to fresh fondant. that's the way I always do it.

Montrealconfections Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 3

My suggestion is letting the fondant disc dry so you don't mark it when you apply the monogram with a stencil (see my icon photo) I printed the letter then made a stencil to the size I needed then I used RI & a spatula to apply it. This gives a very professional look and allows all the discs to be exactly the same bonus it is super easy ;o).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%