Pricing A Decorated Dummy Cake

Decorating By GRAMSB123 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm by GRAMSB123

GRAMSB123 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked about making a dummy wedding cake for a bride and was wondering how do you go aboout pricing one? Any ideas?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 5

It's generally accepted that a fully decorated dummy is priced to be at LEAST 80% of the cost of a real cake of the same size and construction, so a 100 serving cake that you would normally charge $300 for would be priced at $240.

The dummies aren't cheap and there's little chance that the decorated cake will be returned and be able to be re-used as is (either because of damage or the fact that no one will ever want that same design)

You could have an arrangement to "rent" the dummies to the client, so if the cake came back and the styrofoam forms are re-usable, you'd refund a SMALL portion of the amount, but that's up to you. I hate having to get anything back.

catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 5

Yup...80% to sell, 50% to rent. Most of the work of a wedding cake is on the outside, not the inside. Most people think they are saving money...nope, not really.

leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 5

ditto, 80%.
I like that 50% to rent, though . . .

GRAMSB123 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much. I have been struggling with this. I feel the same way that the work is in the decorating. I have a client that just wants a tall seven layer cake with one layer being cake. I just had no idea on how to price it. By the way I have a web site where you can get a good price on cake dummies. It is all they sell is styrofoam products.

Quote by @%username% on %date%