Do You Think This Would Work??

Decorating By MyraNC Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 10:33am by MyraNC

MyraNC Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 4

I've got a request for a Christening cake. The mother is wanting a model of the actual dress on a sheet cake. I suggested the sheet cake carved to the shape of the dress, but that is not what she is wanting. Of course the dress is white, and she is wanting the cake coved in pale pink icing with the dress on top. I have never done a FBT before, but I'm thinking about doing something simular. I had thought about spreading the FBT buttercream icing on a sheet of waxed paper, covering with another sheet and freezing. Then cutting the shape of the dress out of the frozen buttercream, placing it on the cake and piping the details. I would love you thoughts and opions on this. Do you think this will work?? Fondant is out of the question...I don't do fondant, not saying that I never would, but the mother has clearly stated no fondant. I'm a beginner and I have never used fondant. I am totally clueless about it and would be lost. I prefer buttercream and would like to stick with something I know. Do you think my idea will work?? Any advice on FBT is appreciated.

3 replies
Aeropanda Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like a great plan to me. I have never done a FBT before, but I'd love to try one. I am a bit intimidated by working with buttercream, so I bow down in awe of your comfort in using it. I'd love to know how yours turns out! Good luck with this cake. It sounds like a beautiful design!

Cheneya Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe you can convince the mom of using fondant if it is only on the dress. Just let her know that the cake itself will be covered in buttercream and the dress can be peeled right off before she serves it.

MyraNC Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:33am
post #4 of 4

It's just not the mom....I don't do fondant and like I said I wouldn't even know where to begin. I really have no desire to learn either. I'll try it and post my results. I just wanted to know if my fellow cake decorators thought my idea would work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%