I Hate The Wilton Leveler

Decorating By SugarKissesCakery Updated 2 Jul 2012 , 9:56pm by cindynes

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 8:59pm
post #31 of 166

@cabecakes & marianna - I will include you in my list to Santa!!! icon_biggrin.gif

dawnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnell Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #32 of 166

I agree with you all, I hate the large wilton leveler. I love the little one i use it on all my cakes... I cut in as far I can with the small leveler then use my bread knife to finish all my cuts, it works great.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:19am
post #33 of 166

I know the Agbay is expensive but totally worth the investment. PLUS Maureen is amazing!!! She lives only 20 minutes away and she saved my butt last week!!! My agbay broke (the knob on the side wouldn't turn) and she met with me the same day to fix it for me! I met her at her MIL doctors appt. LOL Great product and excellent customer service!!!

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #34 of 166

The wilton cake leveler is terrible! If anyone is thinking of buying it, just save yourself the trouble and buy a good long bread knife. I'll have to find that post somebody mentioned that modifies the leveler to see if it actually makes these things useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I've only had fair results from the Wilton leveler (that is, it works better than my freehand attempts with a long bread knife), but unfortunately there is no Agbay in my future (they're not available here in Mexico as far as I know), so leah_s/indydebi/cake-angel, that tip is worth its weight in gold!

lol
this is getting absurd.
I'm pretty sure my great great great grandmother torted her cakes this way back in the 1300's. dont forget to thank her too
icon_rolleyes.gif haha

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #35 of 166

That may be the way lots of people torte their cakes, but I hadn't thought of it before, and I'm not particularly handy with the freehand long knife, either. If your great great great grandmother had brought it to my attention, I would have been happy to thank her, too! LOL

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:23pm
post #36 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

That may be the way lots of people torte their cakes, but I hadn't thought of it before, and I'm not particularly handy with the freehand long knife, either. If your great great great grandmother had brought it to my attention, I would have been happy to thank her, too! LOL

hahaha
To be perfectly honest, I've never heard of it until today.
It's pretty clever, so I can see why people want credit for it (though whoever came up with it first is irrelevant at this point)

I'm sure my great great great grandma melvira'd her cakes in the 1300's too.

(waits patiently for melvira to come in and beat him with a high density paint roller)
rofl
nothing but love melvira icon_wink.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #37 of 166

Marcx, you just made my day! I haven't had a good laugh in weeks!

jehni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jehni Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #38 of 166

I just bought the large Wilton leveller on Saturday, tried to use it on 2 different cakes and it would not cut straight at all!! The blade is too flexible. I took it straight back to the store and told them it was useless and couldn't do what it was meant to do so they gave me my money back. Now I'm saving for the agbay too, it sounds great.

Simplydelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simplydelicious Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #39 of 166

I purchased the Agbay about 4 years ago and I love it. I bought the deluxe leveler and did not have a use for the second blade because I always cut my 3" cakes in half. I recently got a contract to do cakes for a restaurant and he likes his cut into thirds. I set both blades and go through all of the cakes at the same time. I first level the cake by using a 12" knife while the cake is in the pan and then invert onto a board to tort. I would recommend if you can get the Agbay get it, it is well worth the price.

missyjean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjean Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #40 of 166

I've never heard of the Wilton cake leveler before reading this thread. I have been using Magi-Cake Strips with excellent results. It doesn't cut the cake into layers but it does prevent the cake from doming

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U0LE4O/?tag=cakecentral-20

Linda2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2010 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 6:05am
post #41 of 166

It just does not work at all. It was a waste of money

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 2:43pm
post #42 of 166

I broke down and bought the Agbay and I'm amazed with the results. I had a chocolate/chocolate chip cake that I leveled with no problem. You know those chocolate chips would have caused a problem for the Wilton leveler and torn the cake to shreds. The Agbay just sawed right through them! I am a hobby baker too, just starting to sell a few cakes for money thanks to cottage food laws here in Ohio. The Agbay was a huge expense but I'm so glad I got it. I used to hate leveling my cakes and now I'm running around with my Agbay looking for cakes to slice. lol.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Aug 2010 , 3:25pm
post #43 of 166

I'd love an Agbay, but I have to say that I've never had a single bit of trouble with the Wilton wire cake leveler. I always chill the cake before I use it and it works just fine. You do have to work it back and forth. You can't just try to shove it through the cake. If the cake is crusty on the side, I start it with a knife cut.

I even use it on huge cakes. I use it all around the edges in as far as I can go, then I use a big bread knife or dental floss to get through the middle.

Agbay someday!!!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:40am
post #44 of 166

Is this the Wilton leveler you guys are talking about?

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=25041F3E-1E0B-C910-EA7BF6A19B06DAE2&killnav=1

I was thinking about buying this new one I just saw at Michaels but won't if it isn't any good.

Thanks.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 2:51am
post #45 of 166

Yes, that's the one. I've heard from everyone who's ever used it that it sucks.

kaseysweetkissbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseysweetkissbakery Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:07am
post #46 of 166

Fat Daddio's Is AMAZING!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:42am
post #47 of 166

Here's an idea I'd like to try since I can't afford a agbay

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-641144.html

Molly icon_smile.gif

musicluvrr101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
musicluvrr101 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #48 of 166

have you tried using the bake even strips? they work nicely (:

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 5:04am
post #49 of 166

I just bought an Agbay and I can't say enough good things about it! I am so excited for the weekends to be able to cut my cakes! It is very expensive but soooooo worth it! I would call it a must have tool for any cake decorator!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:23am
post #50 of 166

I have never had trouble with my Wilton large leveller, but now I wish I'd known about the cardboard-in-the-cake-tin trick before I went and bought it!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:27pm
post #51 of 166

Once you go Agbay you never go back!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #52 of 166

Awhile back I decided to ignore everyone's advice and listen to the few who had good results with the large wilton leveler, boy was I sorry. The blade bows so it does not cut level at all, not even on a six inch cake!!! I was so pissed, but in the back of my mind I knew I was dumb for getting it. The next day I took it back and bought the small leveler which works great! Now I just have to save up for the Agbay and keep using the cake board method for larger cakes!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #53 of 166

One day I will find money somewhere for an agbay. Until then I modified my large wilton leveler and it works really well for me. No where near as good as the agbay im sure but I level and tort every cake and get them perfectly level.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:13pm
post #54 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Once you go Agbay you never go back!

I so want one of these! It is on my wish list which I am slowly hacking away at.. icon_lol.gif

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:14am
post #55 of 166

I leveled my cake freehand while it was in the tin so that was Ok. When the time came to actually torte my 3 tiered wedding cake, the wilton leveller refused to go straight and started to torte the cake upwards which looks ridiculas but I had to carry on as I didn't want to keep slicing the cake. I put the filling in and finished decorating the cake. Do you think it will be really obvious once the cake is cut and put on the quests tables?

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:29am
post #56 of 166

I agree - total waste of money.. you have to make sure the blade angles down as it goes through, it wants to angle up. HATE IT!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:34am
post #57 of 166

I was trying to hold the actual blade with my hands and make it change direction but it wouldn't budge.

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:39am
post #58 of 166

I too just bought an Agbay. I am soooooooo in LOVE with it, don't know how I ever lived without it.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 11:41am
post #59 of 166

I feel strongly about this...THROW away the Wilton ones icon_mad.gif and invest in the Agbay leveler. It's some of the BEST money I've ever spent!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I thank myself every single time I level or torte. And, it's an excellent company to work with.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 12:13pm
post #60 of 166

I have a tiny kitchen so I don't really have room for an agbay leveller. Also, I don't know if I want to invest in it as I don't make cakes that often.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%