First Wedding.....stomach In Knots....need Some Advice

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:22am by diamondsmom

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

It's my 1st wedding cake order which is due next Saturday and I am having sleepless nights just thinking about it. I have to do both cakes which includes the groom, not too worried about that one and transporting because it is a baseball themed cake and only a 12". Couple questions:

1. Can I transport the cake stacked, I don't think I wanna really stack on site, is it possible?
2. My MMF fondant always have cracks after I place it on the cake, what is the reason for this? (went ahead and ordered satin ice to give it a try)

The brides colors are teal and brown. She wants teal and brown ribbon around cake borders but for flowers she wants browns, yellows, oranges, I think it wouldn't match the theme one bit. But I may be wrong, what do you think?

Any help on this would be appreciated along with any other advice.

Thanks
Diamondsmom

4 replies
sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

congrats on the cake!!!! you will do great! are you doing the flowers with gumpaste or will they be provided? maybe you can find a ribbon that is predominently brown with teal accents?

As for transporting the cake stacked, try the SPS. I have seen rave reviews on here with it being transported stacked. I have yet to try it though, but will do in October with a wedding cake I am doing.

I always use Satin Ice. I did the MMF for a while and found it melted on me too much, so I switched and never had a problem since icon_smile.gif

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 5

Hi! Congrats on you first wedding cake! You can transport the cake already assembled. I have always assembled my wedding cakes at home, and have transported one over 100 miles! Of course it was only 3 tiers, and I had my husband driving, but it was my first cake! As far as the fondant, I've only ever used MMF, but I think that the cracks are due to it drying out. It may be that there is too much CS. I've never used Satin Ice, so I couldn't give any advice on that. As far as the colors, that wouldn't be the combination that I would use, personally, but I guess if the bride requested it, it's what she thinks is pretty. Best of luck with this order! Be sure to post pics!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 5

Leah_S swears by the SPS (single plate system), I haven't used it but it has rave reviews.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

Here's the thread for the instructions (If you can't see the instructions on page 1 {they come up real small for me} then here's the link to the picture http://media.cakecentral.com/files/sps_104.pdf)

SPS allows you to stack and then transport so no stacking on site (unless it is like 5 tiers plus and you can't fit it in your car xD), you can get it from global sugar art website.

Leah_s is the expert and very helpful so maybe you could speak to her?

On the MMF cracking, maybe it's too dry or you didn't knead it enough? When I made my first batch of MMF I could rub the tiny little cracks away with my finger.

I love teal and brown wedding cakes, this one is beautiful http://images.snapfish.com/346346359%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3262%3E239%3E:84%3EWSNRCG%3D323353988447:nu0mrj

I don't know about adding the other colours :S IMO would put too many colours together but you can only advise her, she has final say after all.

HTH!

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys........i would surely post pics. well she wants all the colors I mentioned, i'm gonna try tone them down a bit though.

It's only 3 tiers, 6,9,12. I would transport the cake stacked too......

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%