First Wedding.....stomach In Knots....need Some Advice

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:22am by diamondsmom

diamondsmom Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

It's my 1st wedding cake order which is due next Saturday and I am having sleepless nights just thinking about it. I have to do both cakes which includes the groom, not too worried about that one and transporting because it is a baseball themed cake and only a 12". Couple questions:

1. Can I transport the cake stacked, I don't think I wanna really stack on site, is it possible?
2. My MMF fondant always have cracks after I place it on the cake, what is the reason for this? (went ahead and ordered satin ice to give it a try)

The brides colors are teal and brown. She wants teal and brown ribbon around cake borders but for flowers she wants browns, yellows, oranges, I think it wouldn't match the theme one bit. But I may be wrong, what do you think?

Any help on this would be appreciated along with any other advice.

4 replies
sechrestloans Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 5

congrats on the cake!!!! you will do great! are you doing the flowers with gumpaste or will they be provided? maybe you can find a ribbon that is predominently brown with teal accents?

As for transporting the cake stacked, try the SPS. I have seen rave reviews on here with it being transported stacked. I have yet to try it though, but will do in October with a wedding cake I am doing.

I always use Satin Ice. I did the MMF for a while and found it melted on me too much, so I switched and never had a problem since icon_smile.gif

Aeropanda Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 5

Hi! Congrats on you first wedding cake! You can transport the cake already assembled. I have always assembled my wedding cakes at home, and have transported one over 100 miles! Of course it was only 3 tiers, and I had my husband driving, but it was my first cake! As far as the fondant, I've only ever used MMF, but I think that the cracks are due to it drying out. It may be that there is too much CS. I've never used Satin Ice, so I couldn't give any advice on that. As far as the colors, that wouldn't be the combination that I would use, personally, but I guess if the bride requested it, it's what she thinks is pretty. Best of luck with this order! Be sure to post pics!

LisaPeps Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 5

Leah_S swears by the SPS (single plate system), I haven't used it but it has rave reviews.

Here's the thread for the instructions (If you can't see the instructions on page 1 {they come up real small for me} then here's the link to the picture

SPS allows you to stack and then transport so no stacking on site (unless it is like 5 tiers plus and you can't fit it in your car xD), you can get it from global sugar art website.

Leah_s is the expert and very helpful so maybe you could speak to her?

On the MMF cracking, maybe it's too dry or you didn't knead it enough? When I made my first batch of MMF I could rub the tiny little cracks away with my finger.

I love teal and brown wedding cakes, this one is beautiful

I don't know about adding the other colours :S IMO would put too many colours together but you can only advise her, she has final say after all.

diamondsmom Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys........i would surely post pics. well she wants all the colors I mentioned, i'm gonna try tone them down a bit though.

It's only 3 tiers, 6,9,12. I would transport the cake stacked too......

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%