Dummy Top Or Dummy Bottoms?

Decorating By dguerrant Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm by catlharper

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 11

I have a wedding cake coming up in a month or so (square 150-175 servings). the bride wants additional dummies for added height due to the size of the reception hall. The cake has to travel 2 1/2 hours to the venue.

My plans are to use a 4, 6, 8, 10" dummies with the 12" and 14" being the real cakes. I know that usually the dummies are on the bottom, but i thought having only 2 "real" cakes to stress about during delivery and set up would be best, and having all the others stacked and ready would make it easier.

What are your thoughts? Also, the cake will not be taken to the kitchen to be cut, so do you think it might be "odd" removing the top 4 in front of the guests?

SO DUMMY TOPS, OR BOTTOMS?

10 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 11

Dummy tops made ahead of time would be less stressful for you. Dummies travel really well, Just place in a box. You might even be able to use this as a display cake after the wedding.
The two large bottoms would travel well and be quite stable. Also, if you really wanted you could use the top 4 tiers as decoration for the cake table once the bottom 2 layers have been cut. It would just go from a 6 layer to a 4 layer cake.

dguerrant Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 11

that's kind of what i thought, seeing that it is for a friend, i was thinking of not charging her for the dummies if i could get them back for a demo cake. Just thought people might think it was kind of weird/strange to take off the top 4. Love the idea of placing the cake on another table for decoration during the reception icon_smile.gif

thanks icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 11

BTW your cakes are lovely. Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 11

When I disassembled a wedding cake, I always put the top tier right in front of the wedding cake as table decor. (Turn a 6" plate upside down for a slight elevation ... looks great!) So removing the top 4 tiers would look really normal and having it set up as decor is a good idea.

dguerrant Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you dsilvest for the compliments, it always means alot when it comes from someone else in the field icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your post too Indydebi, you guys have helped me think things trough in order to do it the easiest way possible, and hey if you guys say go with it, then hey i'm goin' icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 11

I guess in my ignorance I've just not known better but is there a certain order you are supposed to use dummys? I've used them as the bottom cake but I've also used them as the top cakes too<G> I didn't seem to have any problems but are there some I'm not aware of...ok, now I'm worried! LOL!

Cat

dguerrant Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:20am
post #8 of 11

i was just curious about the disassembly infront of the guests and i have to travel a long way and didn't want to have to assemble all the little tiers. If i use the dummies on the top i can do most of the work ahead of time and only be concerned about the two larger cakes instead of 5 smaller ones. i just thought it might seem wierd, because i have always done them on the bottom too. But they brought up an excellent point, i can use the top tiers for display cakes and charge a lower price for the dummies since i want them back.

AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:02am
post #9 of 11

Whenever serving a wedding cake, I always ask the servers that they disassemble the cake and cut from the bottom tiers upward. This way, if there's any cake left over, it's the smaller tiers that can easily boxed up rather than a portion of a cut up large bottom tier.

Therefore, I don't find it odd at all to remove the top 4 tiers and cut up the bottom tiers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaguerrant

i was just curious about the disassembly infront of the guests

I ALWAYS disassembled and cut the cake in front of the guests. NEVER removed it to the back room. Around here, it's part of the entertainment .... people LIKE seeing the wedding cake cut. Once or twice in my life, I've been a guest where the cake was taken to the back and you should have heard the comments from the guests..... "I guess they're doing the old bait-n-switch on the cake on us!!" ..... "Where's the cake? What's the big secret?" ..... "Is the cake gone already? Did I miss getting my piece?"

People tend to think something underhanded is going on.l

I've never understood whisking it away to cut it in "double secret probation" back rooms anyway. I've gotten LOTS of comments on the skill it takes to cut one and how people enjoyed watching the process.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 11

Debi, I agree...I'm part of the entertainment! LOL! Feels a bit like performance art too! LOL!

As for the dummies...people actually get a kick out of the fact that not all of the cake was real...it's a trick that they enjoy learning the secret about!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%