14" Round?

Baking By Debcent Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm by ycknits

Debcent Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:26am
post #1 of 9

This is the first time for me to bake a cake this large. A 14" round. I just bought the pan- its magic line brand. Does anyone know how cake bakes this large? Will I have trouble with the center not getting done? And How much cake batter should I use? Thank you so much!!
sorry this is such a dumb ?

8 replies
snowshoe1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:48am
post #2 of 9

A 14" round takes approximately 10 cups of batter. You can grease a flower nail and put it (flat side down) in the middle of the pan to help with more even baking. Also, for pans this large I always use bake-even strips.

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:53am
post #3 of 9

The way I solve the how much batter to use problem is, take a pan that you know how much batter you use for. Then fill it with water to approx where the batter would come, then pour that water into the bigger tin & just keep doing this until you get to that 'batter' level in your tin & then you know how much batter you need. Say for example it takes 1.5 8" tins to fill a 10" tin so you need to make 1.5 times your mix.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Debcent Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you so much, Im just worried I wont be able to bake it evenly. without making the cake too dry.

JGMB Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for that great tip, sillyoldpoohbear!!!!

LisaPeps Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 9

Have a look at this tutorial!

http://cakecentral.com/articles/651/cake-baking-flower-nail-method-tutorial

It really works, I did a sheet cake which would usually take an hour + to cook and it only took half an hour after putting 2 flower nails in and it had no dome. The metal nails attract the heat which make it cook more evenly solving the gooey middle, burnt sides problem!

sillyoldpoohbear Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Thanks for that great tip, sillyoldpoohbear!!!!

You're welcome icon_biggrin.gif

julesh268 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #8 of 9

I second the flower nails and I have used a heating core. I have also done the nails and the bake even strips. It is one of my favorite size cakes!

ycknits Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 9

I do 14" cakes all the time - bake in 325F oven, with insulator strips - no flower nail or center core.... a piece of cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%