Best Medium In High Humidity Gumpaste/chocolate Or Royal?

Decorating By kaat Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 10:13am by kaat

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 10:02am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake topper that will be fairly thin and fragile. I'm wondering what would be the best medium to make it out of: gumpaste, white chocolate or royal icing?
The humidity has been high here recently and last weekend my topper (a gumpaste rainbow) left the house solid as a rock and when I arrived at the party and went to pick up the topper it was so soft I couldn't even pick it up!
I am planning on airbrushing or luster dusting the colour on after it is done.
I could really use some advice on this one, thanks!

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

White chocolate is affected by heat but not humidity...but it breaks easily and is harder to airbrush when you are done, the color may bead up on it a bit.

Royal is also brittle and can melt faster than gumpaste in water.

I would vote gumpaste all around....just make sure it dries completely (like at least a full week) before using it, and then box it up carefully and bring it to the venue if you have a problem with it melting.

I've never had gumpaste melt on me before but maybe its not as humid here? I dunno.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:21am
post #3 of 5

Gumpaste has my vote. I have issues with humidity (ugh) and I have never had any problem with gumpaste melting or even getting soft once it's dried.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #4 of 5

Lots of people use pastiallage in high humidity. If you don,t have that, then gumpaste.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:13am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I did opt for gumpaste - so far so good! I'll let you know how I make out.
Thanks again!
K

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%