Starting A Cake Business, What I Am Learning. Warning Long..

Business By bmoser24 Updated 17 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm by icesk8ermom

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 4:20pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscunningham

BMoser,

Are you planning to rent from the kitchen in Las Vegas for the $300 a month? Do you mind if I ask how you found it? I am in Las Vegas and have not been able to find anyone who rents shared space.

They have commasaries there, used for truck kitchens. I found one on Craigs list, it was located off the 215/Palo Verde. I can give the number if you want, just pm me. OR search craigs list and type "commercial kitchen" in business sect. I'm in Nye co. and that is Clark, so it's a little different and more expensive there. I would try to get the HD to certify me under a catereer if i was going to do it there, it's cheaper. They wanted to do it under processor or something. It's all in the words you use when you apply or talk to someone. Keywords "stable fillings" "deliver/set up product" there are more...check out catereer sites before you call agencies.

icesk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icesk8ermom Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 6:49pm
post #32 of 34

Curious about how cooking your cakes in a pizza oven affects things??

Congrats on getting them to sell cakes for you! Maybe you can get them to include your cakes in birthday party packages!

Would love to hear more of these key words to use with the HD...

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:10am
post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by icesk8ermom

Curious about how cooking your cakes in a pizza oven affects things

I actually like the pizza oven, it does have temp controls, large spaces, it's more like baking in my home oven. I didn't like the convection at all. I read in the forums here about others baking in pizza ovens, and i did what they suggested, baking on racks, lower temp etc.

And yes, they have talk about packages already. I'm a little cautious because the lady in charge said our local and only real bakery said they would do a cake for $300. for 300 ppl? $1 a serv???? Somethings not right there. Not sure if they want me to do that...or what, but i wont. I told her $2. a serv for basic deco cakes. We will see. I cant see a bakery, with a storefront and big overhead in a poor location, selling fondant special occasion cakes for that price.
I have decided to stand behind my prices, knowing my product is worth it. I learned in my last business - desperation sales dont help, just the opposite.

icesk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icesk8ermom Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 5:36pm
post #34 of 34

I can not imagine a fondant for $1 per serving. Are you sure that quote was for a fondant cake or was it maybe a plain basic cake (that is still too cheap!)? Maybe the local bakery was the local grocery store bakery...??

Thanks for the pizza oven info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%