Long Shot: Ohio Bakers...wood County

Business By onlymadaresane Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm by bridge72

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 12

We're relocating to Ohio, near Toledo, Wood County. They have cottage laws. The most I found was that food had to be labeled (however, I don't know how so) and that there can be no pets or carpet in the kitchen.

Anyone in Wood County Ohio??

OH- and baking supply shops!?! I'm so stoked to find some new shops!!

11 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 12

I am not in Wood county, but I know the laws here in Ohio.

You can LEGALLY bake from your home WITHOUT being licensed through the Cottage Industry Laws here. You have to label and you cannot make ANYTHING that requires refrigeration. (and you can have pets in your home, legally)

Now, if you want to be LICENSED (which again, is NOT required) here is the information for that: (copied and pasted from the Ohio Dept. of Agriculture website)

Type of License: Home Bakery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who Needs This License? Home baking of potentially hazardous baked goods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing Period: Valid through September 30

Annual Fee: $10

Requirements: No pets in the home and no carpet in the kitchen

Forms Needed: License application is supplied at time of inspection.
Renewals are sent via the Division of Food Safety

Submit to: Ohio Dept. of Agriculture
Food Safety
8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
Phone: (614) 728-6250
Email: [email protected]

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 12

Not from Woods Co, but I am a home baker operating under the cottage food laws.

Here is the info that I have on that:

Cottage Food Industry Laws in Ohio:
http://www.agri.ohio.gov/foods.....al6-09.pdf

Label requirements for Ohio:
ORC 3715.023 Labels for cottage food production operation, processor, or beekeeper.

(A) A cottage food production operation and a maple syrup or sorghum processor and beekeeper described in division (A) of section 3715.021 of the Revised Code shall label each of their food products and include the following information on the label of each of their food products:

(1) The name and address of the business of the cottage food production operation, processor, or beekeeper;

(2) The name of the food product;

(3) The ingredients of the food product, in descending order of predominance by weight;

(4) The net weight and volume of the food product;

(5) In the case of a cottage food production operation, the following statement in ten-point type: This product is home produced.

(B) Food products identified and labeled in accordance with division (A) of this section are acceptable food products that a retail food establishment or food service operation licensed under Chapter 3717. of the Revised Code may offer for sale or use in preparing and serving food.

Effective Date: 11-21-2001

Another thing is that I have come across is that some sites will not allow non-license vendors (even if it's not required in Ohio) at their sites. So when you do a wedding, you should check with the site.

Good luck with your move and new business!!

onlymadaresane Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks ladies! Anyone know of baking shops near Toledo? I found one...but I'm sure there's something in an hourish drive time!

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 12

Welcome to Ohio! I'm in Toledo and there are a couple of baking suppliers in the area. The is Cake Art Supplies on Sylvania Ave and also The Baker's Kitchen on Glanzman Rd(both are in Toledo). if you google both you can get exact directions. I normally shop at Cake Art because it's closer to where I live but I plan on making a trip to The Baker's Kitchen this weekend because they seem to have more of a selection of products. HTH icon_smile.gif
I've looked into the Cottage Law but since I've only been making goodies for family I haven't thought of getting licensed as of yet.

onlymadaresane Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge72

Welcome to Ohio! I'm in Toledo and there are a couple of baking suppliers in the area. The is Cake Art Supplies on Sylvania Ave and also The Baker's Kitchen on Glanzman Rd(both are in Toledo). if you google both you can get exact directions. I normally shop at Cake Art because it's closer to where I live but I plan on making a trip to The Baker's Kitchen this weekend because they seem to have more of a selection of products. HTH icon_smile.gif
I've looked into the Cottage Law but since I've only been making goodies for family I haven't thought of getting licensed as of yet.

Thank you! I'm super excited to get started up there and back in the swing of baking cakes! I've been able to keep up on my cupcakes and sweets, but with on occasions to bake cakes down here...

I'll be sure to check BOTH stores out cause I'm a super cake gadget junkie!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #8 of 12

I'm near the Toledo area also. I usually just order my items on line but on top of the 2 mentioned there is Connie's Celebration which is on Lewis Avenue just as you enter into Temperance, MI. It's literally just a jump over the OH/MI state line.
I usually go there over Cake Art Supplies because she's a tiny bit cheaper for edible images and some other items.
Sautters grocery store in Sylvania, OH (part of Toledo actually) sells a few baking items also. They sell dragrees in gold and silver as well as a few other baking supplies and specialty items like the high end cocoa powders and such.

mkolmar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 12

If you need to buy Sweetex the Bakers Kitchen AKA Thrush's sell it in smaller amounts that have been pre-portioned by the pound.
There is a few GFS's (Gordon Food Service) locations in the area. You can buy there 50# block on order, which only usually takes 2 days to ship to their store. They also offer a 5% discount card for businesses.

bridge72 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks mkolmar! I noticed Connies's while on my way to Ciolino's fruit market the other day...had to say I didn't know it was open for business icon_redface.gif Thanks for the heads up thumbs_up.gif

* edited for spelling*

mkolmar Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #11 of 12

It's actually a hall with catering as an option. She makes cakes also so it usually looks like it's not open during the week because the parking lot is empty unless a wedding is going on. In the front of the building there is door on the far right that is the cake store. All the other doors of the building go to different rooms of the hall.

bridge72 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks mkolmar! I will be checking her out.....more shops to add to my new found caking addiction! Yay for me but boo for my bank account!!!! lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%