Edible Image On Fondant

Decorating By msbrehm29732 Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm by 1sweetpea

msbrehm29732 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:55am
post #1 of 13

I'm new here to cake central and found several helpful topics.

However, I am trying to figure out how to apply an edible image to fondant. I have some edible images to put on my cake that will be covered in fondant.

I'm afraid if I put BC on the back of the image, the image will be ruined due to the crisco in the BC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

12 replies
DeezTreatz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:05am
post #2 of 13

Are you just wanting to glue the images to the cake? Do you want them to be eaten?
I use gumpaste - take little pieces of gumpaste put it in a bowl with a little water and use it as glue, and brush it onto the back of the images! It works like a charm!

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #3 of 13

I get my edible ages from the cake shop and they recommend, taking a moist (not wet..barely damp) sponge, run it over the fondant lightly and apply the image. If it's too wet it will eat through the edible image.

mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #4 of 13

Yep, the gumpaste glue would work. Or I brush a little vodka on the fondant and attach. Just don't wet it too much, the ink will run on the image.

msbrehm29732 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #5 of 13

Thanks to all who replied with very helpful information! I will certainly try the tips that you all have given me!

I will post pictures next weekend when I get it finished!

saberger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 13

There are three other options as well.

1. You can use crisco (depending on the size of image)
2. Brushing a little piping gel
3. Or my personal favorite....brushing corn syrup on the back.

Those three eliminate the possibility of smearing the picture with too much moisture.

Hope that helps!

adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #7 of 13
Originally Posted by msbrehm29732

I'm afraid if I put BC on the back of the image, the image will be ruined due to the crisco in the BC...

Buttercream won't ruin an edible image. I put them on BC all the time.

mom2twogrlz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #8 of 13

Yes, Corn syrup works well too.

DeezTreatz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:48am
post #9 of 13

Mmm I gotta try the corn syrup next time!

Darlene Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 13

I've used both piping gel and corn syrup with great results.

thecakemaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:57pm
post #11 of 13

I just spray a very fine mist on the fondant or a damp pastry brush.

icingimages Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:26am
post #12 of 13

All of these suggestions are great and work. I have heard of vodka as well. I actually sometimes use crisco to apply the image to fondant as it gives you more time to move the image around before it adheres.

1sweetpea Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 4:58pm
post #13 of 13

vodka does work, and is great for certain applications...for instance i cut some Lucks Shimmer Ribbons with a paper punch and was able to succesfully apply these delicate critters to fondant, and the vodka worked perfectly. take care, however, if you use vodka on a larger product, such as Designer Prints (especially if the decoration is applied to the side, i.e., has gravity working against it)...when the vodka evaporates, sometimes the image will peel away around the edges. but generally speaking, vodka works well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%