How Long Can I Store This?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 3:35am by KayMc

KayMc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

I plan on making my first fondant tomorrow evening (MFF). I know the Duff fondant is shelf safe for around 6 months. Is it the same for homemade fondant like MFF? I know I can't store it in the fridge, so I need to know how long it lasts on the shelf?

3 replies
tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 4

I had wondered the same thing, and I remember reading a post on here were the debate was between 3-6 months.. after that use it for practice only.

Personally I have been using mine within a months time. wrapped really well in saran wrap then wrapped in press n seal too. i just pop it in the microwave to soften and it is like new.

catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #3 of 4

Ok, first of all, you CAN store fondant in the fridge...I do it every single week. It's AFTER covering a cake that it really shouldn't go in the fridge because of condensation.. Keeping it in an airtight container in the fridge will help it to last longer BUT for a fresh taste you really should use it within the first two weeks to one month. After that it can get a slightly stale taste..not that anyone who is not experienced may taste it but you will. MMF never lasts that long here for me anyways unless I have some made up for making figurines and then, well, who cares what the taste one is going to be biting into them! LOL! Remember to microwave for a few seconds to a minute (depending on how much you have to warm up) to make it softer when you take it out of the fridge.

So go ahead and make away...find tupperware or rubbermaid and make it your "fondant container" and let everyone in the house know not to mess with it...ok, maybe thats just my house where my dh actually threw out a bunch of fondant cause he thought it was old food...LOL.

yeah, that could just be my house<G>

KayMc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 4

Thanks, Cat! That was great info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%