That Toyota Commercial

Lounge By leah_s Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 3:17am by LoveMeSomeCake615

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:35pm
post #31 of 65

I thought it was just an actress and a made up story! Who delivers cake on a bus or subway??! It should be pickups only if you have NO CAR. And how many people do you know who have friends who buy them a car? Nobody because it doesn't happen.

I didn't believe it at all and I still don't. It's all marketing and the lady is an actress, I'm sure of it. Am I getting cynical in my old age?....duh. icon_lol.gif

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #32 of 65

When my husband saw this commercial, and they said she started her own cake business in her small apartment he immediately said "which is illegal" I had to laugh and say to myself maybe he does listen sometimes when all I do is talk cake.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:58pm
post #33 of 65

Yes, a van or SUV is more suited to delivering cakes but my mom delivered fully assembled cakes in a small car for years. It can be done. You use what is available.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #34 of 65

I think y'all are mean. I was so happy for her I got teary-eyed.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:12pm
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonilm

When my husband saw this commercial, and they said she started her own cake business in her small apartment he immediately said "which is illegal" I had to laugh and say to myself maybe he does listen sometimes when all I do is talk cake.

Too funny. My hubby and son are learning as well. I watched Cupcake Wars last night (recorded from earlier in the week). They were going through introducing the contestants, the one who stated that they don't have a store front but was taking all her supplies from her home cabinets. My husband stated, well it doesn't look like she is using a commercial kitchen and baking from home is illegal in California. I had to laugh at that one. He did listen to all my talks about posts on CC and licensing, etc. Another time was with my 14 year old son. I received an cake request for 50 people, but the person only wanted to spend $50. I was telling this to my husband and my son pipes in...well that is only $1 per serving, these cakes are worth much more than that. I have taught him well. icon_biggrin.gif

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #36 of 65

This commercial irks me on so many levels - if I was trying to start a business I would save my money and be happy with a reliable USED car and use the extra money on my business. This coming from someone with NO CAR and who has to borrow a car to get to the grocery store or the doctor or to deliver treats to friends, etc. (hobby baker).

But I wanted to share that I had the same thoughts on the legal issues. There are lots of "cakers" speaking up on the message boards and comments sections about how these illegal businesses hurt the legal ones and make people think anyone can do it. Even on the the Toyota Facebook page for this story itself, so whether she is in CA or FL or any other state with a "Hollywood" I imagine we won't be seeing this commercial too much in the future.

Not to mention that Toyota is now dealing with the confused masses that think this is part of a contest and they are giving away new cars if you share your story.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #37 of 65

I thought the commercial was sweet but I was confused about the apartment business thing too. It also didnt make any sense to me for her to be delivering cakes in a little car like that. But I guess if shes used to delivering them on a subway or taxi then the tiny car would seem like heaven.

Our electric co-op sends out a monthly newsletter. One section of it is always dedicated to one local business that of course gets their power from our co-op. Several months ago they featured a cake decorator. She was ancient and had been running her home based cake biz for decades. Where she is it isnt legal for her to do that but somehow she has managed to make it work for longer then I have been alive. The article mentioned that she used to take a picture of each wedding cake and a napkin from the ceremony to save but shes done them for so long she stopped doing that many years ago. She had too many photo albums full of her wedding cake pictures to even count.

When I saw the article I was admittedly a little annoyed at first that shes been getting away with it for so long. But also worried that now that the article was out and people knew about her she might get caught. I dont want to see an 80 something year old woman who has been doing this for over 50 years get into a bunch of trouble. Its a really small town though so I doubt anyone outside of it cares. Honestly I could see the people of that town throwing a huge fit if someone did try to go after her. From what I gather shes THE cake decorator around there. Everyone uses her.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:14pm
post #38 of 65

Yeah, Erica isn't going to be so grateful when the CA Health Dept comes knocking and shuts her down. icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't stand the commercial either.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 9:44pm
post #39 of 65

WOW - If the story is true, can't we just be happy for Erica? I really thought it was just a commercial also, and not reality.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #40 of 65

Just tonight I was talking with my mom and a friend of hers. My mom wanted me to show her friend pics of cakes and my newest attempt at cookies. I try to stay away from this topic of discussion actually because it always leads to "You should start a business!" Then I have to explain how my state won't allow me to and then they say well that's just a ridiculous law and then I have to try and take the high road without making them sound bad. Yada yada yada.

This convo went along the same path, me starting to explain how it's illegal for me to sell cakes and cookies from my home and my mom pops in "But that gal from the Toyota commercial did it!"

*sigh* I shake my head at you Erica.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:59am
post #41 of 65

i own 2 pugs...they are so cute, but oh boy do they ever shed ALOT...i own a storefront shop, i keep clothes there to change into "just in case"...i dress for work and head out instantly, getting my clothes directly from the dryer.

i can not imagine making a cake at my house to sell...i'm just saying.

plus i guess she was too good to get a used car huh?

did ya'll see her on her bike delivering cupcakes with no box?

are ya'll sure this is even for real?

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #42 of 65

Honestly, guys I had not seen that commercial before. I, like so many of you, was wondering why there was a dog running around and why she was delivering cakes on the subway. I mean really. I have to admit it is funny.

mouse13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mouse13 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #43 of 65

I am sorry, but that commercial grossed me out. Delivering a cake on a subway, do you know how dirty and how many sick people go on those things? I would be grossed out if I found out that my cake lady took the cake I was buying on a subway. Sorry but that brings safety health problems into play.
My husband was so funny he pointed out the dog and the people standing all around the cake on the subway, and said that is not food health safety at all call the health inspector in...lol

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

WOW - If the story is true, can't we just be happy for Erica? I really thought it was just a commercial also, and not reality.

If the story is true we should all be afraid for her, not happy, because whenever the HD sees this kind of thing they do investigate it and shut you down. There have been many stories in the media about home businesses that lead to HD investigations. I can think of three right off the top of my head where people got shut down the day after the story of their business appeared in the paper.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #45 of 65

Well, at least when they show her working with cakes, she has her hair up! I saw Cupcake Wars and noticed how several women with long hair were baking without pulling their hair up! That is a definite No-No! Who wants the cake with the hair that fell into it?

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #46 of 65

I have been wondering when someone would bring this up. I always think yeah right, then I wonder who gave her the car. Her friends, I need friends like that, or Toyota?

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #47 of 65

Did anyone else wonder how she got the cake in/out of the cake box?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parable

Oh Leah, had the same thought. But she totally stole my idea of delivering round cakes in a hat box. I love doing this. Especially when it is a hat cake. lol

Parable wrote this on the 1st page of this thread. Maybe she could tell us how she does it.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 5:31am
post #49 of 65

seriously, seriously irritated by the whole thing for the reasons already listed.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:08am
post #50 of 65

I liked the commercial, I just thought it was nice that her friends wanted to buy her a car to help her out. It never occured to me to think about her being illegal with her business, or that the car would be too small to deliver cakes. I just saw a gal that wanted to bake and decorate cakes, had no vehicle to use to deliver her cakes, but had some very nice friends that wanted to do something for her. I get teary eyed when I watch it.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:04pm
post #51 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyrconnect

I liked the commercial, I just thought it was nice that her friends wanted to buy her a car to help her out. It never occured to me to think about her being illegal with her business, or that the car would be too small to deliver cakes. I just saw a gal that wanted to bake and decorate cakes, had no vehicle to use to deliver her cakes, but had some very nice friends that wanted to do something for her. I get teary eyed when I watch it.

I am so glad someone else thought this was a nice thing for her friends to do!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:47pm
post #52 of 65

About the type of car, I had a 2006 Toyota Matrix - which was perfect for delivering cakes - back seat folded down flat and it had these build-in sliding lock downs that were great for anchoring against the boxes or cake board. Unfortunately, they have redesigned the interior. I know have a Toyota Rav4 which I love - but isn't the greatest for delivering cakes. I wouldn't even consider a sedan. Car salesman laugh at me and when I want to check out the interior for which would be best for delivering cakes.

About the commercial, they make it sound like anyone can start a home based business and make enough to support themselves. Hmmm - how realistic is that?

GGx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGx1 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #53 of 65

I do not understand how ANYONE got the idea it was a REAL story. Maybe it is maybe it is not, I never thought it was. I just looked @ her cakes and I thought "look @ Toyota trying to look good after all the trouble they have been having" not "oh look, where does she live, that is illegal, she cant do that".

I understand that a LOT of you on CC are in the buz,but get a grip, Erica is not out to get you, she is not trying to take your Legal biz from you.

IT IS A COMMERCIAL!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #54 of 65

Wow! I cannot believe what I've just read here. Meanspirited comments galore. Holy smokes ladies, why not dig the claws in a little deeper?

Give this young lady a break for goodness sake. When did you all become judge and jury of her lifestyle & work? What do you even know, about her lifesyle & work?
I don't understand how some of you can trash her so much just from watching a car commercial.
If the story is true, could you not be the least bit happy for her?
I may be in the minority but I sure am.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 10:22pm
post #55 of 65

I don't think most of the comments are meanspirited. They're not all baskets of kittens and lollipops and sunshine, but they're not that harsh.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Wow! I cannot believe what I've just read here. Meanspirited comments galore. Holy smokes ladies, why not dig the claws in a little deeper?

Give this young lady a break for goodness sake. When did you all become judge and jury of her lifestyle & work? What do you even know, about her lifesyle & work?
I don't understand how some of you can trash her so much just from watching a car commercial.
If the story is true, could you not be the least bit happy for her?
I may be in the minority but I sure am.

When I work all day with managers watching my every move to make sure my hair is tied back, my gloves are on, my hairnet is on, my apron is clean, I'm washing my hands whenever I leave the kitchen, I don't touch sprinkles or pics with dirty gloves, I use the right soap in the three compartment sink, I check the pH levels in the saniwater, (I could go on but I'll stop here), I can't help but notice when people are doing things that are considered unsanitary.

It's like it's programmed into me. Maybe I should be an inspector. . .

sillymoo84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillymoo84 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 7:00am
post #57 of 65

http://www.thecocohouse.com/about.htm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Hollywood-CA/The-Chocolate-House/299882687718

thats her website. She's in North Hollywood.

Maybe I'm hormonal, but just watched the ad on youtube, and had a tear in my eye!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 9:12am
post #58 of 65

She seems like a very happy, sweet person. She also shares a common bond with us all...a passion and love for cakes.I wish her well.

icingonthecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingonthecupcake Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:05pm
post #59 of 65

I also wish Erica well, I hope her business continues to flourish and I wish to get just as lucky and somehow achieve recognition for my business and just as much chatter that has been seen on this board about one simple commercial and catalpult me into successs too! Congratulations, Erica thumbs_up.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 1:53pm
post #60 of 65

Is it possible she does have a store front but perhaps Toyota wanted to film her in her apartment?
We are assuming a lot in this commercial.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%