That Toyota Commercial

Lounge By leah_s Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 3:17am by LoveMeSomeCake615

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:02am
post #1 of 65

You've seen it? "Erica" starts out baking in her apartment kitchen (grr) but doesn't have a car to deliver her cakes. Cut to a scene of her on the subway with the cake in a round hat-box style box. Cut to a scene of her in the park with friends when "ta-da" Toyota drives in to give her a free car.

I'd like to know which state "Erica" lives in.

64 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 65

Oh Leah, had the same thought. But she totally stole my idea of delivering round cakes in a hat box. I love doing this. Especially when it is a hat cake. lol

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:43am
post #3 of 65

well Leah..I can sure tell you it isnt KY is it girlfriend? And to think we have a toyot plant here.. hmm..

ya know, we could both bake a cake.. take them to Lexington, and ride the lex-trans around town, til we get to jacobson park.. then see if they bring us both a car? if not.. well we can just talk girl talk and eat the cakes !! icon_lol.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:58am
post #4 of 65

And it's not Chicago, IL either. How funny who knows how many of us are enraged at that commercial... I could care less about a free car.. LET ME WORK FROM MY HOME KITCHEN! Woo saaaa... icon_biggrin.gif

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkkeeMunkkee

And it's not Chicago, IL either. How funny who knows how many of us are enraged at that commercial... I could care less about a free car.. LET ME WORK FROM MY HOME KITCHEN! Woo saaaa... icon_biggrin.gif

AMEN!

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephsCakes72 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #6 of 65

I think it's California. I looked it up one day. I will double check...

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 65

My husband and I saw that and he remarked that it's not a great car for delivering cakes -- that they should've given her one where the seats fold down to a flat surface. But, you know the old saying that beggars can't be choosers. icon_wink.gif

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #9 of 65

I saw it last night with my husband... I think if anyone in the process of making the commercial had ANY idea about cakes, they would have given her something other than a sedan! Give me a minivan or SUV with LOTS of room in the backicon_smile.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #10 of 65

I have a newer van now, but I also am still holding onto my 1994 Toyota Corolla. I could never imagine delivering a cake in the Corolla. They don't seem like they've gotten much more roomy.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:45am
post #11 of 65

I know - first let me mooch off of my sister for a place to live, then give me a free car, (I don't even care if it's a corolla!)...

That's the key girls.. when you don't have to pay for anything, you can do what you want. If I didn't have to pay my own bills, I'd own my own cake business too... NO FAIR! icon_cry.gif

~diem

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #12 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

well Leah..I can sure tell you it isnt KY is it girlfriend? And to think we have a toyot plant here.. hmm..

ya know, we could both bake a cake.. take them to Lexington, and ride the lex-trans around town, til we get to jacobson park.. then see if they bring us both a car? if not.. well we can just talk girl talk and eat the cakes !! icon_lol.gif

tesso, leah, where in KY? I'm from Shelbyville... Lived there for 20 years, then moved to Iowa two years ago...

~diem

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #13 of 65

I literally flip off the commercial every time it comes on...it's like an uncontrollable urge.

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #14 of 65

The first time I saw it I muttered something not to nice under my breath.... my hubby asked what was wrong with it.... I told him don't get me started.
But look on the bright side.... at least she tortes her cakes!

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
post #15 of 65

What kind of fool has a delivery service with no means of transportation?

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:33pm
post #16 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

You've seen it? "Erica" starts out baking in her apartment kitchen (grr) but doesn't have a car to deliver her cakes. Cut to a scene of her on the subway with the cake in a round hat-box style box. Cut to a scene of her in the park with friends when "ta-da" Toyota drives in to give her a free car.

I'd like to know which state "Erica" lives in.

I'd also like to know where in that car she has room for cakes icon_smile.gif .

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:47pm
post #17 of 65

1st thing I told my hubby was.... this girl needs a mini van or SUV! I started out with a Sedan for my cake deliveries and it was pure h@ll! icon_twisted.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:07pm
post #18 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

My husband and I saw that and he remarked that it's not a great car for delivering cakes -- that they should've given her one where the seats fold down to a flat surface. But, you know the old saying that beggars can't be choosers. icon_wink.gif

That was my thought! Who wants to deliver cake in a Corolla?!?

GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #19 of 65

The first time I saw the commercial, I immediately rolled my eyes and smacked my lips. My husband said "what". I said she might as well take the subway, there is no room in a corolla, unless she is doing small cakes.

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #20 of 65

The first ten times I saw it, I was interested in taking a good look at the cakes and didn't see anything else. The first one was adorable (fondant covered?), but the next one (with the TV on top) did not look so professional, so I said: who would pay for that? After I had satisfied my curiosity about the cakes, then I paid attention to the rest of the commercial and said: WHAT? The only cake you can deliver by subway is a sheet cake. Anything else would topple down the way subway cars turn the corners! Then I laughed because (a) I don't see Toyota giving cars away, especially after the fiasco this year, and (b) who would want that car to deliver cakes? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Everybody at my house said I was too picky! I'm glad I'm not the only one! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S.: It's not New York, even though the subway car is either the A line or the F line - the other lines are newer than that car!

EllieA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EllieA Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #21 of 65

The first ten times I saw it, I was interested in taking a good look at the cakes and didn't see anything else. The first one was adorable (fondant covered?), but the next one (with the TV on top) did not look so professional, so I said: who would pay for that? After I had satisfied my curiosity about the cakes, then I paid attention to the rest of the commercial and said: WHAT? The only cake you can deliver by subway is a sheet cake. Anything else would topple down the way subway cars turn the corners! Then I laughed because (a) I don't see Toyota giving cars away, especially after the fiasco this year, and (b) who would want that car to deliver cakes? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Everybody at my house said I was too picky! I'm glad I'm not the only one! icon_biggrin.gif

P.S.: It's not New York, even though the subway car is either the A line or the F line - the other lines are newer than that car!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #22 of 65

I must have misunderstood the commercial. I thought that her friends bought her the car...When I first saw it, I thought "What nice friends you have. Mine wouldn't do that!" After the next 5 times seeing it, I began to wonder why she started the business if she had to take the subway for delivery...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:22pm
post #23 of 65

I've seen this commerical too and wondered why they would even go there with the Started her business from her apartment thing....Gotta know that isn't legal but you wait..They will probably get so much flack they will pull the commercial.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #24 of 65

Here is more info on Erica and her story.

http://mybestcardeals.com/ericas-surprise/

They state that she lives in Hollywood. So not sure if it's California or even Florida which home bakers are not legal in either state. She even has her pug running around as well. I know in my state animals are not allowed if you want to be licensed.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #25 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I've seen this commerical too and wondered why they would even go there with the Started her business from her apartment thing....Gotta know that isn't legal but you wait..They will probably get so much flack they will pull the commercial.

It could happen if the cakers banded together, LOL!! A few years back when Quilted Northern came out, they showed a bunch of cartoon women "quilting" it with knitting needles!!! I called to let them know, and the poor young man on the other line said that LOTS of quilters had called. It was off the air ASAP, being replaced by one showing how quilting is really done.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:30pm
post #26 of 65

Here's the "whole story" according to Toyota. It looks like her friends gave her the car. And they say she lives in Hollywood. Hmm....I thought home-based cake businesses were illegal in California. And was she really delivering cupcakes on a bike in this video? Seriously?

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=toyotausa&annotation_id=annotation_778827&feature=iv#p/p/

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #27 of 65

Mama_Mias, you beat me to it! icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

What kind of fool has a delivery service with no means of transportation?

Ha! Don't you all remember the first season of Amazing Wedding Cakes? Cake Atelier carried their cakes down 4 or 5 flights of stairs and delivered in TAXIS! icon_lol.gif

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #29 of 65

Awww...I can't hate on this young lady. I was very touched by her story. We all started and are starting somewhere.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #30 of 65

Yes, Sweetcakes, but most of us at least try to start legal. My problem is NOT with Erica, it's with Toyota. And all the cake businesses that are going to start popping up (more than usual.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%