Not Invited - Kind Of Offended

Lounge By kger Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm by kger

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 13

I am a hobby baker and am still jumping at every chance I get to experiment with cakes.

That being said, my sister's birthday is this weekend and I just heard that her boyfriend (whom I have never met) is throwing her a surprise party on Saturday.

Were I not into caking so much, I would probably be glad to not be obligated to attend, but I am missing out on the opportunity to make an awesome cake! ARRGGHHH!

I've been trying to convince myself that pulling a cake together in 2 days would be a PITA, so it's probably better that I haven't been contacted, but... I'm her sister, darnit!!

12 replies
SugarFrosted Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #2 of 13

He's prolly just being a guy and has not even thought of all the people he should invite. Your sister will likely ask him, "Why didn't you invite my sister?" Or she'll call later and ask why you were not there. I have found that most guys don't have a clue...in my experience.

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 13

And I still don't get to make a cake! And I know just the one I would do.

tesso Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 13

I say... CRASH THE PARTY!!!.. show up with the cake and say.. "why I had no idea you were having a party..and here I thought I would surprise you with a cake!! icon_twisted.gif

my family does that to me all the time. I find out about parties or relatives visiting from out of state about two weeks after the event.. thier excuse is.. YOu are always working or baking.. icon_confused.gif and the point is??? they could atleast ask. so I say again.. CRASH THE PARTY icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 13

Putting the whole cake thing aside...
Assuming you and your sister have a good relationship and the boyfriend knows you exist..

Wonder what she's going to say to the boyfriend when he throws a party for her and doesn't even invite her own sister icon_confused.gif

Rachie204 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:20am
post #6 of 13

I agree it's probably a guy thing. My husband recently failed to invite his parents to our sons kindergarten graduation...HELLO...They are his GRANDPARENTS!!! Hubby:"I didn't think about it" Grrrr!

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

I agree it's probably a guy thing. My husband recently failed to invite his parents to our sons kindergarten graduation...HELLO...They are his GRANDPARENTS!!! Hubby:"I didn't think about it" Grrrr!

That's hilarious.

No, I really wouldn't want to go otherwise. It's far away and I just don't really like her crowd. My brother was invited, though. And he lives even further away than me.

Rachie204 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:24am
post #8 of 13

i have a hunch her bf just forgot somehow...it seems unnatural that he would invite your brother and not you....i wouldn't take it to heart

michellenj Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:00am
post #9 of 13

Don't take it too hard, men don't think exactly like us women folk. Cut him some slack-this once.

Shelle_75 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 13

Yep, it's a total guy thing.

When I had my third baby, our first girl, a lady we Scout with threw me a little baby shower and put MY HUSBAND in charge of inviting people. There were exactly three people there, one of whom was the lady throwing it, another was the lady she asked to make the cake. He didn't invite my mom (when I was actually speaking to her), my favorite aunt, his own sister, my best friend......

Men, sometimes you just gotta laugh.

dchockeyguy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 13

Hey, not all men are like that! I plan a good party and am now having to plan my own wedding!

Chasey Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 13

Can you call your brother and ask him to ask the boyfriend if his sister is invited as well and did he need your number?

Easiest way to find out if it was an oversight or on purpose. icon_cool.gif I'm going with oversight, although it seems odd he thought of your brother and not you. icon_sad.gif

Glad you don't really want to hang out with them!

Hey, if your brother does call and ask about "do you have my sister's number? He can also say "do you have a cake baker because she can do it for free!"

Hope you are close enough with your bro that he will do that for you. icon_biggrin.gif

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #13 of 13

I sent a friend request to the boyfriend on Facebook, figuring he doesn't have my contact info. If he contacts me, awesome. If not, I will just sulk. Thanks for consoling me, guys. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%