Questions About Stacking Fondant Cakes.

Decorating By MessMaker Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 1:49am by CWR41

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #1 of 5

I know that these questions have been answered many times before but i cant seem to find them.

I know how to stack buttercream cakes, but this will be my first 3 tier fondant covered cake and i have a few questions.

1. Do you stack them differently than buttercream?
2. Do you cover with fondant and then stack or stack and then cover?

Im not sure of myself with this one, as I am a beginner and was asked to make the cake for a friends baby shower, and i dont want it collapse under its own weight or topple over..

Please help me. Im stumped icon_confused.gif

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessMaker

1. Do you stack them differently than buttercream?
2. Do you cover with fondant and then stack or stack and then cover?

No.
cover and then stack.

ops, edited without cut 'n paste wrong order from above!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

CWR41,

::politely:: WHAT??

Each tier of cake is covered in fondant and then stacked.
Basically everything's the same as with buttercreme.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #4 of 5

Hi. I'm also a newbie (just finished the 4 Wilton Courses taken over the past four months). My graduation cake from Course 4 was a 3-tier, stacked fondant cake. I apologize I can't send a photo because I don't know how to do that on the computer yet.

I did the following:
Baked the cakes on Sunday. Bottom was 10", middle 8", top 6". Used WASC recipe: 1 package (18.25 oz.) Duncan Hines white cake mix, 1 cup sour cream, ½ cup vegetable oil, 3 large eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or almond, or lemon)

Torted cakes and made stiff BC dam, then filled each layer with BC--each cake on exact same size cardboard cake board.

Then put cookie sheet with a book on it on top of each 10", 8", 6" cake and left over night to compress. Next morning did BC crumb coat on each cake--let them sit for 30 minutes. Then rolled out fondant (took about 3-4 tries to get it right for each layer), and put on each cake.

Now I put in dowels just about 1/16" below level of fondant and stacked the 2nd cake, then dowels, then stacked 3rd cake. Did not hammer a dowel thru all layers and it traveled around just fine to cake class and back home and then to my sister's house.

Good luck! You are welcome to PM if you want more info! Us newbies can help each other out too!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

CWR41,

::politely:: WHAT??

Each tier of cake is covered in fondant and then stacked.
Basically everything's the same as with buttercreme.

Thanks for catching that Leah! I edited it already. (wouldn't like to see a cake that was finished in an incorrect order!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%