Decorating By lmpreis Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm by Tinabarena

lmpreis Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 4

The groom requested a pitsburg penguins cake. All I am finding is logos that are trademarked. Now I know that i am not supposed to do this but how can I get around it being legal w/o chancing me running into the wrong person and reporting me? Can I change the logo a little bit? Does anyone see any other logos or images that may work? Cake is for Saturday! icon_redface.gif

3 replies
PiccoloChellie Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:04am
post #2 of 4

Try going for the top right away. Contact the Penguins office and ask for written consent to use the logo (which is trademarked in any of its iterations) on a groom's cake.

They might give you permission to do so. Never know until you try. icon_smile.gif

If they don't grant permission for you to recreate their logo, then explain to the couple that you don't have legal permission to make the logo yourself, but if they have a Penguins figurine or some other memorabilia that they would like to purchase, you can make a hockey-themed cake and design a space or spaces to place the purchased memorabilia. That way they'll have a little reminder they can keep (the memorabilia) after the wedding is over.

In short:
1. Get WRITTEN permission from the Penguins
2. Make a generic hockey-themed cake and allow the couple to place Penguins memorabilia they purchase on the cake

Those are the only ways I'm aware of to comply with copyright law in your case.

leily Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 4

Definitely call them and ask to speak to their copyright department because you would like to use their logo for a cake. Sport teams and colleges are actually the ones I have the easisest time getting approval and information from. And if the first person you talk to says "go ahead for only one time" ask for it in writting on their letterhead. I bet you get transferred to someone else really quickly.

Tinabarena Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 4

Along this same line of thought (trademark infringment) do you know that your are doing something illegal? Every birthday cake/cupcake request seems to be of some cartoon/character...and don't they have actual pans designed like Dora the Explorer, etc.? How am I supposed to know what is legal and what is not???

Now I'm all worried that I'll do a cake and unknowingly do something illegal. I'm new to this arena - so I'm not sure I would've even had thought about trademark infringment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%