Do You Charge Extra For Bows/etc?

Business By SugarKissesCakery Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm by tootie0809

SugarKissesCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarKissesCakery Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:04am
post #1 of 7

I'm very new at the cake business and am selling only my second paid cake. It is to feed 40 people and will be two tiers (10" and 6"), buttercream with fondant zebra stripes, a fondant loopy bow, fondant "50" for a woman's birthday, and fondant Beads around the tiers. My standard price for buttercream cakes is $2.00 a serving. Do I charge extra for the bows, etc. or do you all include that in your per serving price? If you do charge extra, can you give me an example of how much? Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

6 replies
BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:23am
post #2 of 7

I do simply because it using gumpaste and fondant costs me more too. Not to mention the time to perfect it and making sure it dries. You should calculate how much extra that would cost you to do those decorations above and beyond the plain buttercream cake as well as your time. Good luck!

Sarah

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:24am
post #3 of 7

I don't charge for each additional element...but I do add money per serving for how much decoration, in general, the cake is. The "busier" the cake, or more detailed, the higher I price it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #4 of 7

I charge $40 for bows.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 7

I don't charge for individual extra items. My price per serving goes up the more elaborate the cake is.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #6 of 7

I charge for bows separately. Increasing the price per serving doesn't make sense to me. If I make a bow to go on top of a 6" cake, it's the same bow whether there's one tier below it or 5 tiers below.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 7

Yes, I charge per bow, $20.00 for a regular bow (bow-tie) style and $35-$40 for package style (loopy) bows. Two-toned bows are extra on top of that. Beaded borders are extra as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%