Client Thinks I Got The Cake Wrong, Should I Correct Her?

Decorating By mbark Updated 15 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm by TexasSugar

mbark Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 11

Ok so here's more background- my Weight Watchers leader who I love to death, asked me to make a cake for a bridal shower that was this past weekend. We hashed out all the details at the end of May.

So I went into my meeting today anticipating her response to the cake, and she said something like I thought it was going to be a white cake and a lemon cake but we got spice? (I did a stacked 6" white cake with lemon filling, and 8" carrot cake with cream cheese filling).

So I said no, it was a white cake with lemon filling and carrot cake. She said oh, that was carrot? I couldn't tell, it seemed like spice. Which is so weird because my carrot cake recipe uses 3 cups of shredded carrots & they're totally visible in the finished cake.

So I brought up the email & this is my last response to her-
" ok, so how about white cake with lemon filling for one tier & carrot for the other?" and her response was "sounds great!".
Should I send the email to her to show that was the correct order? I don't really want to "rub her face in it", and could probably let it go as it is now, but I really don't want her thinking I got the order wrong.

I was thinking of saying something like "ok I just had to go back & check now that you said something. I'm glad it worked out though, my carrot cake recipe is one of my most popular"

What are your thoughts?

10 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:21am
post #2 of 11

Yes, absolutely send it to her. You're not rubbing her face in it, just giving good customer service by following up on her complaint.

mbark Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #3 of 11

ok that's kind of what I figured. If it was anybody else I wouldn't hesitate, I just don't want to upset her, she kinda fills a mom role for me.

neelycharmed Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #4 of 11

I would tell her too, just because I know a lot of customers/friends are computer so much that they don't even remember what they agreed to!
It's great to have every email kept for that exact reason. Even though its a friend, just confirm that you didn't mess up...
And about the carrot cake- what did she think was the orange pieces were in the cake?? lol
icon_smile.gif Jodi

mbark Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #5 of 11

thanks, that makes sense.
I know right? I have made this carrot cake recipe multiple times & it always gets rave reviews so that comment totally threw me for a loop. She said how she & her husband were debating if it was carrot or spice & once he tasted it he agreed it was spice. The only spice in there is cinnamon & only 4 tsp!

tinygoose Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:41am
post #6 of 11

I would show it to her. It's not rubbing it in her face. She probably saw scanning and not reading and didn't see the word carrot, but I would show it to her.

kger Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #7 of 11

Wait the question isn't whether she ordered carrot, it's whether she feels she received carrot. So I don't think sending the email would really solve anything.

mbark Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #8 of 11

no I think she thought she was getting a white cake & a lemon cake, but when I told her it was carrot she said she thought it was spice.
I sent the email already...

Katiebelle74 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:54am
post #9 of 11

maybe she never had homemade carrot cake before. Maybe she only had the boxed carrot cake or something. CRAZY I never met anyone who didn't know when they were eating carrot cake. very very weird.

mbark Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:35am
post #10 of 11

I know I still don't get that part. The only thing I can think of is I use baby carrots & my salad shooter to grate them, so the pieces are pretty small, but they're undeniable in the cake IMO

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 11

I think the bigger issue isn't what she order, but that she couldn't tell the difference between carrot cake and spice cake. I would have said how it was infact carrot cake and spice cake would have this and that spices where as carrot only has cinnamon.

Then, personally I would have let it drop. If she isn't really complaining, just saying they couldn't tell the difference, and isn't asking for any money back, why continue the conversation?

Quote by @%username% on %date%