Luau Cake

Decorating By joannge Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 4:20pm by joannge

joannge Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 18

I'm new here and this is my first post. I wasn't sure where to put this.

My sister is having a graduation party with a Luau theme. She asked me to make the cake and it needs to feed 30+ people. I've never done a cake this size. I'd like to just use box cake to make this easier on myself. I'd also like it to be a sheet cake. What size pan should I use and where do I buy it from? How many boxes of cake mix do I use and how do I adjust the cooking time? I'd like to put some sort of filling in between two sheet cakes but I've also never done that either. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an idea for the decorating because I made a cake with this theme last year for my husbands birthday. I plan on putting a leis around the outside base of the cake and I'm going to do a beach scene on top of the cake but I'd still welcome any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!

17 replies
Monirr04 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 18

Hi Joannge - I just made a luau themed cake and it was a huge hit. I used a 12x18 sheet pan (1/2 sheet) that feeds a lot of ppl. I torted the cake and put in a buttercream filling in the middle. I believe this used abou 4 box mixes using the "original" WASC cake recipe. Here is the link of the pic. Let me know if you have questions.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1735598

HOpe this helps and you find what you are looking for!

joannge Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 18

You cake looks awesome thumbs_up.gif I'm going to just buy some figures to top the cake off cause I don't have time to learn how to make my own just yet...baby steps icon_wink.gif


Where do you buy a 12x18 sheet pan and cake box? How do you adjust the baking time on box cake when you do 4 boxes?

kycakediva Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 18

Hey joannge!
If I am only feeding about 30 people I would probably use a 11 x 15 pan (I got mine at Walmart--it's Wilton brand). It will hold two boxes of cake mix. You can get cake boxes at Walmart too, as well as Michael's.

Monirr04 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 18

I bought the pan at a local cake shop here in town. But you can get it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or JoAnne's store. The hula girls were little Polly Pocket dolls inserted into a round cake. I took a small pyrex bowl and baked the "skirt" part then just carved it a little, decorated it with the grass tip to make it look like a skirt.

Baked it at 325 for about 45 - 55 minutes (dont know for sure because at 45 minutes i started keeping an eye on it).

And Thanks!

Uniqueask Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 18

If you want to get a really good cake pan, go to www.Globalsugarart.com
and put in Magic Line cake pans, in the search field. It may be a bit pricey, but that is the best, cake Pan you can ever buy, money well spent.

And thank you for starting this Post, because
I was looking for a Hawaiian birthday theme for my Goddaughter's birthday Party.


Monirr04 thanks for showing your cake, it is great and Just what I needed. will PM you if I have any questions.

Edited to add: I forgot to say you can use the WASC recipe on here by Rebecca Sutterby and you will only need two boxes of classic white cake mix with the other ingredients, and I use Dunchan Hines, because the box yields more cake mix, you can bake at 325 or 350 for about 30 mins and then check your cake, it may take 30 to 45 mins. if you use greased flower nails, in your cake you will get an even baked cake, look in the how to's on the main page, and you will see how to bake a cake with flower nails.

Monirr04 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks Uniqueask!

The pans i bought were from Fat Daddio...Love them. I havent tried the Magic Line yet but am dying to, i found a shop here that sells them.

Good luck with your cake(s). Feel free to ping me if you have a question!

CHoxie Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 18

I use the Wilton 12X18 cake pan all the time. Bought it at Michaels. Use their coupon in their add to save some money. It takes 3 box mixes to fill. Cooking time is @ 75 minutes at 325. But check it at @ 65 minutes. My oven has problems sometimes.

Spray the edges and use parchment paper across the bottom, helps save the cake when removing from the pan. thumbs_up.gif

michel30014 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kycakediva

Hey joannge!
If I am only feeding about 30 people I would probably use a 11 x 15 pan (I got mine at Walmart--it's Wilton brand). It will hold two boxes of cake mix. You can get cake boxes at Walmart too, as well as Michael's.






Hi,

I agree with this post wholeheartedly! My mom has been making cakes as a side business for many years and I have followed in her steps. Last year, my mom got me an 11x15 pan from Walmart along with a "kitchenaid" type mixer. So, I know this pan works well for me. I always use 2 boxes of cake mix in this pan. As far as how long to bake, my oven at 325 takes approx 45-50 minutes. I keep an eye on it and make sure it's done by using a toothpick in the middle.

I have doen a luau type cake for my daughter's sweet 16. Have a look here at this link. I think it's similar to what you want to do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1710810.html

Have fun and good luck!

Q-Squared Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #10 of 18

I agree that the magic line pans are amazing. But if this is something you don't want to spend a lot of extra money on (or don't have time to get new pans) you could always use a pyrex 9X13 glass pan. I've done that before. I've made a two layer cake using those a couple of times. Each layer (one pan) takes one cake box. The sides are rounded, so I trimmed mine to make them straight. Not the greatest thing to use for a pan -- but if you're in a crunch it works!!

A 9x13 sheet (two layers) will feed about 40. I bake it at 350 for 30-35 minutes. And I also use Ducan Hines -- like an earlier post mentioned -- it makes more batter, it's fluffier, it's just flat out the best box cake.

And one last suggestion: I love the other luau cakes already posted on here, and I haven't actually done one myself. But I have done a beachy/ocean-theme cake and I used brown sugar around the edges to look like sand. It's such a nice effect to a cake of this style. Check it out:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1696370

Good luck!!

calicopurr Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:34am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monirr04

Hi Joannge - I just made a luau themed cake and it was a huge hit. I used a 12x18 sheet pan (1/2 sheet) that feeds a lot of ppl. I torted the cake and put in a buttercream filling in the middle. I believe this used abou 4 box mixes using the "original" WASC cake recipe. Here is the link of the pic. Let me know if you have questions.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1735598

HOpe this helps and you find what you are looking for!




How did you tort this big cake? Did you use a a cardboard cake board to lift it off and back on again?


ALso-Does the 12 x 18 hold four or three boxes of cake mix?

calicopurr Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:44am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask



Edited to add: I forgot to say you can use the WASC recipe on here by Rebecca Sutterby and you will only need two boxes of classic white cake mix with the other ingredients, and I use Dunchan Hines, because the box yields more cake mix, you can bake at 325 or 350 for about 30 mins and then check your cake, it may take 30 to 45 mins. if you use greased flower nails, in your cake you will get an even baked cake, look in the how to's on the main page, and you will see how to bake a cake with flower nails.




Would you use the 11 by 15 in pan for Rebbecca's recipe with the Duncan Hines?

I was also wondering if you have made the original WASC cake? Which one do you prefer and why. Amount of batter, taste??

Monirr04 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:09am
post #13 of 18

I use the Original WASC and it took 4 boxes and i had a little left over. I have the Wilton folding cake torting thing (sorry late and i'm tired) and Yes i did use another board to slide between the two and lift. I was worried about it breaking but it went smoothly.

Personally i like the Original WASC. I use it all the time for all my cakes and get SO many compliments. The one thing i change is i do not add the Almond Extract. I use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of butter extract and the rest Vanilla. It is yummy!!

Uniqueask Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:51pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask



Edited to add: I forgot to say you can use the WASC recipe on here by Rebecca Sutterby and you will only need two boxes of classic white cake mix with the other ingredients, and I use Dunchan Hines, because the box yields more cake mix, you can bake at 325 or 350 for about 30 mins and then check your cake, it may take 30 to 45 mins. if you use greased flower nails, in your cake you will get an even baked cake, look in the how to's on the main page, and you will see how to bake a cake with flower nails.



Would you use the 11 by 15 in pan for Rebbecca's recipe with the Duncan Hines?

I was also wondering if you have made the original WASC cake? Which one do you prefer and why. Amount of batter, taste??





Sorry it took me so long to reply, I have only used Rebecca's recipe, since I started using WASC, because That was recommended by Sharon Zambito and many others on here, I have also used only Duncan Hines, box cake mix for any box cake recipe I have ever used, since I started selling cakes. because it yields more cake mix, and to me it makes a more lighter fluffier cake, everyone raves about that particular doctored recipe, (so why change it). before I started selling cakes I used other brands of cake mix, and I actually like Duncan Hines better.

Edited to add: I only use 1and a 1/2 cups of sugar because to me it is too sweet, and I have had complaints from some clients, before saying it was good but sweet. And what is the original WASC that you guys are talking about.

calicopurr Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 18

It didn't take long at all, no, not a all. I just posted last night. Thank u!

The other WASC cake is called THE ORIGINAL WASC cake. It's posted here on CC by kakeladi. I will share the link, just let me open up a tab so I don't lose you. hee hee

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Found it!

A lot of people love it from what I've read. At the moment, I haven't looked to compare ingredients on the oringnal and Rebecca's. They are both doctored cake mix recipes, the original is one box and Rebecca's uses two cake mixes. I bet it's almost the same. Rebecca told me she now uses Betty Crocker since DH changed their fomula. I have her as a friend contact on Facebook.

I just clicked on my message from Rebecca and I had included the link to quote her when I asked her what cake mix she now uses. Here is the link and the recipe to a one box recipe for Rebecca's WASC cake. It's on Sharon Z's (sugarshack) web site.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

Ok, so now I have two more recipes to print and compare since I already have the ORIGINAL by Kakeladi.

I've never made more than one doctored cake mix in my KA since everyone that orders wants one flavor of this and one of that. It's good know I'll have a recipe to go to when I do get a one flavor cake.

Cat

PS--If anyone has something to add, I'll really love to read it.

Uniqueask Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

It didn't take long at all, no, not a all. I just posted last night. Thank u!

The other WASC cake is called THE ORIGINAL WASC cake. It's posted here on CC by kakeladi. I will share the link, just let me open up a tab so I don't lose you. hee hee

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Found it!

A lot of people love it from what I've read. At the moment, I haven't looked to compare ingredients on the oringnal and Rebecca's. They are both doctored cake mix recipes, the original is one box and Rebecca's uses two cake mixes. I bet it's almost the same. Rebecca told me she now uses Betty Crocker since DH changed their fomula. I have her as a friend contact on Facebook.

I just clicked on my message from Rebecca and I had included the link to quote her when I asked her what cake mix she now uses. Here is the link and the recipe to a one box recipe for Rebecca's WASC cake. It's on Sharon Z's (sugarshack) web site.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

Ok, so now I have two more recipes to print and compare since I already have the ORIGINAL by Kakeladi.

I've never made more than one doctored cake mix in my KA since everyone that orders wants one flavor of this and one of that. It's good know I'll have a recipe to go to when I do get a one flavor cake.

Cat

PS--If anyone has something to add, I'll really love to read it.





Yes I am a friend of hers on facebook too,(almost everyone is I guess).
I guess you should make one batch of each, with the different recipies, and the different cake mixes, and see which you like better, you can always freeze it for another time, or for a tasting or something, I have heard that kakeladi's recipe is good too, but have never actually used it, and I have also seen the recipe on Sharon's blog, she uses Rebecca's, I have not acutally even know that DH, changed their recipe, but I still like it. and if you try them all you can let us know which taste's the best. I guess I should try kakeladi's because it is in the packet that I printed from the gourmet thread, lots of recipies you should look it up.

calicopurr Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #17 of 18

One more thing, I just asked Sharron Zambito about the salt that is missing in the recipe she has posted at her site. See below. There should be at least 3/4 t. of salt in this recipe if it should be exactly like the one here on CC. The one here on CC is a double box. The one on Sharon's is a single box. Off to bake!

WASC (white almond sour cream) by Rebecca Sutterby:

1 box mix (does not work well with DH since they changed their formula)
one cup sugar
one cup flour
1 1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond if desired
3 whole eggs or 4 whites
one cup sour cream
2 tbs oil

*you can make this into any flavor by starting with flavored mix, and adjust extracts as desired . Bake at 325.

joannge Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:20pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks everyone! You all were very helpful and I'll be refering back to this thread when I actually start on the cake. I won't be making it until the 30th but I will come back and let you all know how it turned out and post some pics.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%