Individual Rkts

Decorating By tanstaafl Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm by tanstaafl

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 5

So I am making a Star Wars Lego cake for my nephew's birthday, and I wanted to put a few Lego pieces on and around the cake.

I was thinking of using RKTs for the legos, instead of using a solid chunk of fondant/gumpaste. Which do you think would be better? They would probably be about 1x2x4 inch rectangles or 1x2x2 inch squares.

If RKTs are better, can I just buy the premade individual treats? I don't want to make more than I would use for the cake, because my husband and I don't like them.

Thanks for the help!

4 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 5

yes, can buy premade -- esp. in this case, why reinvent the wheel?

and yes, the individual RKT would be a good idea (heck - I'd eat those before I'd eat the cake!)

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 5

I think RKT would be much more hassle than just making them from fondant. First of all, you'll have to make them TINY because the addition of the fondant covering will make them quite a bit bigger. Plus, you have the lumpy bumpies to deal with.

If you have a long sharp, straight edge blade, cutting rectangles is easy. I like to use a clay cutting blade. You just press it down thru the fondant and it makes a super clean cut with sharp corners.

tanstaafl Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 5

Well, I made them last night out of fondant/gumpaste, and they turned out really nice. I'll post a pic later of the final cake.

tanstaafl Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 5

The finished cake is in my photos! I think DianeLM was correct in fondant being easier to make them smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%