Sugarshack's Bc With Part Butter

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm by confectionsofahousewife

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 8

I use the 4.5 quart mixer recipe. I just wanted to see if someone substitutes a cup or so of the shortening with butter. I am worried if I do half that the icing will melt, because I have to drive with it an hour on Saturday. Also, can I make this ahead of time with one cup of butter and leave it out without refrigeration? I wanted to make the icing in advance so the decorating goes a little faster since I have another job where I work full time.

I would like to try mixing the butter with the high ratio because I'm not sure I have enough high ratio left to ice the whole cake. I'm running low and I am trying to avoid Crisco at all costs. I live in northern VA and heat and humidity is a concern so if I need to refrigerate icing mixed with butter I'll just take my chances with all shortening.

7 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 8

I always do half butter half shortening in her recipe. I have never had a problem with it melting even when it was 90 degrees in my kitchen. I don't think it gets as hot here as it does by you though. I have also left the icing out overnight with no problems. HTH

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

Sugarshacks with 1/2 butter should be OK as long as you are in an air conditioned car and the cake will be in an air conditioned venue - I went to a wedding last month with the heat index over 100 - the reception was outdoors! 1/2 butter would have been a disaster on her cake. Her niece did the cake and fortunately did not use butter!(her niece is a CC member from Northern Virginia)

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 8

Do you know if I can make this today and then leave it on the counter in an airtight container until Saturday? I'm pretty sure the venue will be air-conditioned.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

Definitely will do well out on the counter!

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks! I think it will be ok in our house since we keep the thermostat on 68. I know-we're nuts. I should be in Alaska, LOL!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 8

1/3 butter to 2/3 shortening works well too. I use that sometimes and it comes out great!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 8

I do too. I use 2 cups butter and 3 cups shortening with 5 lbs powdered sugar. It works really well and hasn't melted yet this summer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%