Help With Bow

Decorating By swritik Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm by sophie691

swritik Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone,

I want to make this cake and even though it is simple i wanted to know what is the bow made from? I think it is fondant, but i am not sure because it looks like it flows (because of the separations on the bow) Does anyone have a video of how to make such a bow?

Thank you,

9 replies
DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 10

I make my bows with 1/2 fondant and 1/2 gumpaste to keep it firm.
It looks like it is either draped.. (which could be done in fondant for the bottom of the bow) or it looks like it might be done with 3 seperate strips of fondant/gumpaste for each part.. a total of 12 strips.

fishabel Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 9:55am
post #3 of 10

Yes 12 pieces. Lay them out flat in three's and fold how you would like. Dust with pearl shimmer for a satin look. To fold the bows use some grease poof paper to hold the shape for them to harden before you apply.Hope this made sence.

sweetnessx3 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 10

Is this bow heavy? How would you get it to stay on the cake ? Sorry, Ive never done a bow before .

nettemc Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 10

I usually just use a little royal icing.

ninatat Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 10

it shouldn't be hard to get it to stay because it all rest's on the first layer, so ri or gumpaste glue and you could put a dowel from the back into the bow would work while you're measuring and getting the bow right you can play with your measurements, and fit the pieces togeather so each side matches and the bow layers set them on the open side and put some tissue in them to keep the shape 50/50 the ribbon tails you could wait till you do the cake same for the sides, they will be held down with everything, love the cake.

4realLaLa Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 10

swritik I love doing bows. I did one similiar to this, it is in my photos. Although you can use half fondant and gum paste; I would use all fondant. Cut them into strips as was suggested on a previous post (this is what I did also) and adhere them together.

sweetnessx3 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you Ninatat !I made a horse shoe from all fondant once for the topper of a wedding cake and it was heavy. Had to use a tooth pick on the back side to hold it up.

icer101 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 3:08pm
post #9 of 10

In Toba Garrett's class, she had us cut one peice for the tail and fold over. We hemmed the outer part, fold up,etc. and hem the bottom edge. We used g/p , so we could roll it thinner, and then it wouldn,t be so heavy. You surely can use fondant and g/p mixture and be able to roll it thinner than just fondant. hth

sophie691 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 10

ask edna!! she has a blog and facebook....

Quote by @%username% on %date%