Corn/wheat/gluten Free Cookie Recipe???? Help!!

Baking By BakeLoveMom Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 1:26am by 7yyrt

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 12

I am visiting a dear friend in a couple days. In recent years she has become aware of Food allergies, both for her and her son. I can't bring them my normal cakes or cookies, but I would still like to give them something special. I searched on the internet but had a hard time coming up with a recipe that was both corn and wheat free. I am hoping one of you guys can help me out. If you have a good cookie recipe could you please let me know. Thanks so much,

Sarah

11 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 12

Here in Montreal, we have a company that aer doing allergen-free cakes...
I would'nt even try to find a recipe because your kitchen is not allergen-free..
But, that's my own opinion..

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 12

I saw some gluten free flour at Dillion's the other day you might be able to use in a conventional recipe.

Here's a very simple and really delicious cookie you could make as long as peanuts aren't on the list of no-no's

Ingredients
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350ºF
Combine ingredients and drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes.
Remove from pan and allow to cool. They're so good, moist and chewy.

Also... rice krispie treats fits the bill and there are so many ways you can 'jazz' them up too!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 12

If nuts are okay, and they like chocolate, these would be good

I saw them on Food Network a few years ago.

Chocolate Sparkle Cookies

1/2 lb Bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
3 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
2 Eggs
1/3 c Sugar, plus more for rolling
3/4 c Ground almonds
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Preparation
1. Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over, but not touching, simmering water. Remove from the heat. Cut the butter into a few pieces and mix into the chocolate until melted.

2. Beat the eggs with an electric mixer, gradually adding the sugar until ribbons form, 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in the chocolate-butter mixture. Gently add the ground almonds. cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

4. Use a cookie scoop to form the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in granulated sugar, place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and immediately place in the oven.
5. Bake until the center of the cookies is no longer wet, 9 to 12 minutes. When slightly cool, lightly dust the cookies with powdered sugar.

Cook's Notes
The trick to these soft, truffle-like cookies is in the beating--beat the eggs and sugar until ribbons form, meaning that when the beaters are lifted, the batter falls back onto itself in ribbons. This could take up to 10 minutes of beating. You can grind raw almonds in a food processor or blender. These are best with chocolate that is 70% cocoa.

Makes about 36 cookies.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 12

Have you tried looking on King Arthur Flour's website? They sell gluten free mixes but they also have a recipe section with some gluten free options. The of course do sell flours to use in them but if you can find them local you don't necessarily need to buy from King Arthur. If you're not familiar with gluten free flours though it would be a good place to look and see what falls into that category.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free/view-all

The Gluten Free Girl blog also has a bunch of info and recipes but you'll have to search a little to find what you want. Just google the blog name and it'll come right up.

Good luck! It's very sweet of you to want to bless your friend. icon_smile.gif

BakeLoveMom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks so much everyone. I don't run a business, I will just make them from our house and I know how to handle the allergy sensitive part, they have visited and used our kitchen too. Thanks. I know that they would love these recipies, and Nuts are okay!! icon_smile.gif Thanks so much all of you!!!

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 12

I have the following recipe- but I've never tried it.

3 1/2 c gluten free flour (my understanding is that this is cornstarch with some additives to prevent clumps)
3/4 c soy or chickpea flour
3/4 c sugar
1c butter or margarine
3 eggs
tsp vanilla sugar

Cream butter with the sugar- add the remainer.
"Flour" the surface with cornstarch

Bake at 350 for 15 min.

HTH!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 12

Alton Brown (Food Network.com) has a great gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Rice Krispie Treats are great, Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddy mix is good too. Chex Mix without the pretzels is a good snack too.

Betty Crocker also makes some pretty decent cake mixes and a good brownie and chocolate chip mixes. I like taking the vanilla cake mix and turning it into banana nut bread or blueberry muffins or strawberry. There is a million things you can do with that vanilla GF cake mix.

BakeLoveMom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks again, but I know that I cannot use anything with cornstarch, corn syrup etc. because Corn is one of her allergies. Even Powdered Sugar has some corn starch in it. Again, I know this and I just wanted to share it with you incase you thought you could use it for someone you know. That is where I had problems, it seems easy to find wheat/gluten free recipes, but to add on top of that corn free is hard. Thanks again everyone.

Sarah

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 12
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:52am
post #11 of 12

There is no corn in Alton's recipe. No corn in Rice Chex.

And you are the second person that has commented that there is cornstarch in podwered sugar, but if there was they would have to list it as an ingredient and my PS brand does not have cornstarch listed as an ingredient. So no corn in PS.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #12 of 12

Chex went gluten-free in 2008. It will say so on the box right under the name.
http://www.chex.com/Recipes/CategoryView.aspx?CategoryId=447&t=5
-------------------
The C & H website:
http://www.chsugar.com/Consumer/powdered.html#
Powdered sugar has a finer crystal size than C&H Granulated Sugar and contains 3% cornstarch that keeps the sugar soft.
----
The Domino Sugar website:
http://www.dominosugar.com/content/109/faqs.aspx#ProductFAQs7
Domino® Confectioners Sugar, or powdered sugar, is granulated white sugar that has been crushed into a fine powder and cornstarch is added to prevent caking.
-----

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%