Don't Trust A Brand-New Oven. *rant*

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 18 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm by sherrycanary62

emrldsky Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 10

My DH and I decided to get two new appliances: a gas stove and a dishwasher. The stove arrived and was installed on Monday. Last night I needed to start baking for my own birthday cake (because I'm a control-freak in that manner). icon_wink.gif

By 8 p.m., I knew I was only going to get the two 12" layers in the oven baked, so I get those pans filled, pop them in the oven at 300 for about an hour and upped the temp to 325 for the last 30 minutes or so (I don't remember how long...I look at the cakes and then figure out if they're done).

Well...one of the two turned out perfect. The one that was closest to the bottom of the oven stuck to the pan and fell apart (it was also a bit too-well done). After DH and I yelled at each other a bit (me at him because I was pissed and frustrated and near tears, and him at me because I yelled first), I went to bed.

Needless to say, I need to rebake the bad layer since it fell apart (but I'm freezing the bad one for cake balls), as well as the other layers I have planned.

And no, I didn't use flower nails or any thing of the sort. It was just a 12" square pan, and the one layer baked PERFECTLY! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 10

I've only ever had electric ovens, but I only bake what will fit on the middle shelf at one time, because whatever's closer to the element will cook faster. You can switch the pans around halfway through with some things, but with cake sometimes it's not good to pick it up while it's halfway through cooking.

Sorry it happened to you, have a great birthday anyhow!

emrldsky Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I've only ever had electric ovens, but I only bake what will fit on the middle shelf at one time, because whatever's closer to the element will cook faster. You can switch the pans around halfway through with some things, but with cake sometimes it's not good to pick it up while it's halfway through cooking.

Sorry it happened to you, have a great birthday anyhow!

Yeah...I grew up with a gas stove, but have been using electric since college. I REALLY wanted a duel-fuel (gas range, electric oven), but it was out of our budget. icon_sad.gif

I totally learned my lesson. I just feel like I wasted a lot of $$ on ingredients.

I think what I'll do is save the broken one for cake pops/cupcake bites to sell, and use business ingredients for the rebake. That way, I'm not really "out" the money, and I don't need to head out to the store for more.

cakegroove Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 10

i only bake on the middle rack. one cake at a time. because i'm afraid what happened to you will happen to me.

I have a new oven as well (electric) and it is hotter than my old ancient one that i had to alter time/temp on. i ruined 2 cakes before i learned my lesson.

CakeMakar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 10

Ugh. I know your pain. I was renting a house with a nice gas range for years. It foreclosed on the owners so we had to move (in 4 days!) and all we could find was an apartment on such short notice. The electric stove suck majorly.

emrldsky Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 10

I only have myself to kick in the pants for this. icon_wink.gif I was JUST telling other cakers on Monday I was getting a new oven, said my cake would be the first cake-run through it, but that I was certain it'd be fine. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, to make my life sooo much easier, I'm going to just torte the one layer I have to try and get three layers from it, fill it with icing, and hope that it's at least 3" tall in the end. The kind of cake I'm putting together, having odd-height tiers will work perfectly.

And no one but ya'll on CC and my DH will ever know it wasn't on purpose. icon_wink.gif

I have so much other stuff to work on for this cake, I just don't have it in my to try and bake another layer.

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 10

Go buy yourself a nice, cheap birthday present---------------

AN OVEN THERMOMETER!!!!

New ovens always take some getting used to. I find that using an oven thermometer gives me peace of mind.

Happy Birthday!
Rae

emrldsky Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Go buy yourself a nice, cheap birthday present---------------

AN OVEN THERMOMETER!!!!

New ovens always take some getting used to. I find that using an oven thermometer gives me peace of mind.

Happy Birthday!
Rae

I think I'll pick one up tonight, before I bake my next two layers. icon_smile.gif

And thanks!!!

cabecakes Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with BlakesCakes. Every oven is different, and the only way to be sure on how hot it's getting is to use an oven thermometer. I also agree that you should only bake on the middle rack. I have always had issues with cakes baked lower in the oven.

sherrycanary62 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 10

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

*Make sure that your oven is level. When I bought my brand new oven last year (electric) My husband levelled every which way to you can think of and adjusted the legs accordingly.

* Yes!!! buy an oven thermometer, they are invaluable. Do a test and see what the thermometer says, its possible that the oven is not calibrated right.

* If the oven is not calibrated correctly and it is brand new, there is a warranty. Look at your paperwork and give either A.) The place you bought it or B.) the manufacturer....a call.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%