Wilton Large Leveler-Level With Me

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm by funcakes

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:19am
post #1 of 19

Is it really that bad? I can't afford an Agbay and I've never been good at leveling or torting with a bread knife. I am just using kakeladi's WASC version and there are no nuts or fruits or chunks to interfere with the slicing.

Will it do until I can win the lottery and buy an Agbay?

18 replies
leepat Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:30am
post #2 of 19

Don't waste your money on Wilton, save it for an Agbay.

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:42am
post #3 of 19

Dang, I was afraid you would say that.

I had a 40% off coupon for Michael's so I was planning on using that. I have a cake due for this weekend and I'm using SPS for the first time and my layer sizes are not even. I figured I would tort my layers and add a couple extra layers of filling to even things out. I suppose I could trim the columns to size but I don't have anything to cut them...

scp1127 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:49am
post #4 of 19

I got my wilton leveler with a 40% off coupon. It has worked perfectly for me every time.

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:01am
post #5 of 19

Thanks! That sounds promising! I've heard so many bad things about it so it's nice to know that it CAN work!

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:12am
post #6 of 19

It can work initially but over time for whatever reason the blade will bend.
On the large leveler the feet on mine were perpendicular to the ground and now they do not sit level on the surface I am cutting on.

Now that the new leveler folds in half I cannot see how the blade will stay tight enough to keep a level cut.

I have a small and large wilton leveler and I am saving my money for an Agbay!!

cakefairy03 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 19

I also have the large and small Wilton levelers. I use my small one on every cake I make. My large one has been used twice, but did a perfectly fine job! Good luck with yours!

anasazi17 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 19

I have an Agbay and I love it. But, I didn't get it until my volume increased to the point where I thought it would really help in time savings & stress (totally did). There are a lot of options out there that don't cost a lot that you could use in the mean time (while your saving for your Agbay icon_wink.gif). Baking a little higher and using a long bread knife, toothpicks, etc. I would save for it.

Jaimelt76 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 19

I have both of the wilton levelers. They both work just not the greatest. The large one cuts through the cakes but the feet do not sit flat so the cake does not come out perfectly level. The small one cuts through the cake but if the outer edge is tough it rips the cake. With the small one I found if I start the cut with a knife it glides right through the cake. HTH

nonilm Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 19

I have the Wilton one and it works OK. Much better than I could do on my own with a long knife. icon_redface.gif I think one key is to make sure you do not pull up on the leveler as you slice and also place a hand on top of the cake as you slice so it stays on the counter. I did have a 11x15 come out slightly slanted but not enough that I couldn't fix with BC.

Like Postal_Cakemaker said, the blade can bend over time so be sure to store it properly.

LEHLA Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 19

I have both the large and small Wilton levelers. I love my small one I HATE and I do mean Hate the large one, the blade bends & I never get a straight cut. My next present to myself will be an Agbay!! icon_wink.gif

keystone Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #12 of 19

I have both of the Wilton levelers. I HATE the big one. It never worked right for me. Now I think it is in a box somewhere and is bent. The small one worked for me. My husband bought me an AGBAY and it is great! For as many times as I use it I know it is worth it.

Linda

leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 19

You don't really understand how bad the Wilton levelers are until you use the Agbay. Just once. then you understand.

I've posted a way to torte using the pan, cardboards and a long knife, several times. Perhaps the search will help someone find it.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 19

I've used both the large and small with no problems. icon_smile.gif

ycknits Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 19

Don't waste your money on the larger Wilton leveler! I love my small one with the wire and use it on all my smaller rounds. But the blade on the large one deflects and, unless you're very careful to mark and line up layers exactly like they were cut, you will end up with a topsy turvy design!

I purchased a 14" blade cake knife that is very rigid with a serrated edge. I mark the edges of my cake with toothpicks at the level that I want to cut and then guide the knife blade just above them. I'm going to check into the recommended leveler, but this method is working very well for me.

GeminiCake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #16 of 19

I can't stand the small one. I never get a level cut. It may be because of operator error (me! lol!).

adamsmom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 19

I also have both the small and large Wilton levelers and I love my small one but as many have said my larger one tends to give way when I'm trying to cut and I end up with a cake that's cut unevenly. If I do it just right (I mean hold my tougne in that just right spot) then I can get it to work decently, but it's more of a bother than not. It needs to have more teeth on the blade and a better blade overall. I'm not looking at an Agbay, but that won't be for a little bit. Good luck!

KonfectionKonnection Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 19

I have both also. For some reason, my students all loved the smaller one--which I can't get to work for me at all. (Maybe I have the user error problem as well?) I've not used an Agbay, but I do love the large Wilton leveler that others seem to have problems with. I guess I am backwards, as it is the only one I always have success with. I do store in very carefully to protect the blade, but have had no problems with it.

If I wanted to look at the Agbay, would there be a particular booth at ICES that I should check out?

funcakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 19

I found this tip here on one of the forums and had my husband follow it.

He went to Ace Hardware (not Loew's or HD) and purchased a blade- ACE 21" bow saw blade. He took out the blade from the large leveler and inserted the new blade with Molly Bolts. This blade makes it so easy to level the cakes. The original blade would always bow and bend in the center, this blade does not. yeah, I probably could cut wood with it, so don't worry if your cakes have nuts in them. Depending on the type of cake it does sometimes leave a lot of crumbs as it cuts. My DH showed me how to level the cake and then just run the leveler over the top a second time and off comes all the crumbs.

It will never come close to the Agbay, but for those of us who only do cakes as a hobby, the Agbay is just out of our budget.

I don't know how to post pics yet, but when I learn I'll post a step by step for anyone interested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%