Wilton's High Humidity Icing Recipe

Baking By cutthecake Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm by mamawrobin

cutthecake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #1 of 7

I found this on the Wilton website--has anyone tried it?

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/High-Humidity-Icing-Recipe-I

6 replies
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:25am
post #2 of 7

I haven't ever seen that "high humidity" icing recipe by Wilton. The only "high humidity" icing that I've seen by Wilton is just like Indydebi's recipe.
Powdered whipped topping and all.

It seems that when someone complains of their icing being "grainy" or "gritty" everyone always says to use Domino or CH powdered sugar because the cheaper brands have more cornstarch in them. I would suspect that adding cornstarch to the buttercream may give you a gritty icing.

Indydebi's holds up to the extreme heat and humidity for me so I have no need to try another. But IF you do try this recipe I would be curious whether or not it was gritty or grainy.

cutthecake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 7

It's on my very long list of recipes to try. I'm a hobby baker, so it may take a while before I get to it. Unfortunately, I have no "occasion" to bake for in the near future.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 7

Hey MamaRobin, it is actually suggested not to use store brands because they can be made with beet sugar rather than pure cake and the beet sugar in baking often comes out gritty/grainy. On store brands you want to read the ingredients because it will tell you if it is pure cane or not. If it just says sugar, it is beet sugar.

All powder sugar, from my understanding, has cornstarch in it. It is what keeps it from caking or clumping in the bag. I could see how store brand may have more, but I don't think it would affect the texture of the buttercream other than making it thicker.

I add cornstarch into my icing when I am making dark colors like red or black and have never gotten gritty or grainy icing from it.

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Hey MamaRobin, it is actually suggested not to use store brands because they can be made with beet sugar rather than pure cake and the beet sugar in baking often comes out gritty/grainy. On store brands you want to read the ingredients because it will tell you if it is pure cane or not. If it just says sugar, it is beet sugar.

Now I'm really confused...LOL....I posted the same thing the other day...and someone posted a very lengthy response as to why is ISN'T the "beet sugar" but rather the addition of "too much" cornstarch...that causes the icing to be "grainy".........LOL..

All powder sugar, from my understanding, has cornstarch in it. It is what keeps it from caking or clumping in the bag. I could see how store brand may have more, but I don't think it would affect the texture of the buttercream other than making it thicker.

I do know that ALL powdered sugar has cornstarch in it....if you read what I said......."cheaper brands have MORE cornstarch".....I know that it's added to prevent clumping. I'm sorry if I'm wrong.....LOL....I had said the same thing as you until the other day when someone "corrected" me and explained how it isn't the "beet sugar" at all but rather the addition of too much cornstarch.....LOL......I was just saying that if it IS the addition of too much cornstarch then the op would surely find this out when she makes the icing and I would like to know the results.

I add cornstarch into my icing when I am making dark colors like red or black and have never gotten gritty or grainy icing from it.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 7

I'd be curious as to what the corn scratch does in the recipe. I use it, added to royal when it is too thin and to buttercream when the icing gets thinned from adding alot of coloring.

Everything I have every heard or read about the gritty said beet. I haven't seen the post you are talking about. Maybe there is new news. Hmm.

I've used Walmarts Great Value brand for years and never had a problem. The one I used was pure cane, but if it had more cornstarch in it, I didn't ever notice a difference.

Maybe it is one of those what works in one kitchen doesn't work in another kitchen kinda of things? icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I'd be curious as to what the corn scratch does in the recipe. I use it, added to royal when it is too thin and to buttercream when the icing gets thinned from adding alot of coloring.

Everything I have every heard or read about the gritty said beet. I haven't seen the post you are talking about. Maybe there is new news. Hmm.

I've used Walmarts Great Value brand for years and never had a problem. The one I used was pure cane, but if it had more cornstarch in it, I didn't ever notice a difference.

Maybe it is one of those what works in one kitchen doesn't work in another kitchen kinda of things? icon_smile.gif

You could be right about the "what works in one kitchen doesn't work in another kitchen....." because I use Dollar General's powdered sugar quite often and still my icing is never grainy or gritty. I usually use Domino but even with the dollar store brand I didn't have any issue with "grittiness"

As far as that thread...I'll try to find it and post the link.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%