Help, My Piping Gel Ran....

Decorating By Kelrak Updated 1 Sep 2005 , 6:30pm by Kelrak

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 7:42am
post #1 of 4

I was trying to copy the "life's a beach" ocean cake that is pictured under the piping gel article. I made the piping gel from a recipe from sugarcraft.com. Apparently it's way too thin because it ran down the side of my nice white, smooth cake. So tomorrow my nice white cake may have to turn into a nice blue cake to hide the blue piping gel streaks. Oh, well, at least I have a lot of blue icing.

Is the store-bought piping gel pretty thick? What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Kelly

3 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 11:20am
post #2 of 4

My guess is you may have not let enough water evaorapte out during the cooking process.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 4

Well, everyone that I know of that has made this recipe has had the same problem. I think I would stick with the Wilton piping gel which firms up and doesn't run.
Hugs Squirrerlly Cakes

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! At least I know I'm not alone! Next time I'll try not to be a cheapskate and just buy the darn stuff.

I'll post pictures under the cake disasters forum later...now I have to clean it up and make it presentable before 4:00 today. Fortunately it's just for my 7 year old's party, but she was pretty disappointed when she looked at it this morning. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%