Having Difficulty Matching This Color

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm by 7yyrt

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #1 of 17

I am needing to match the dark pink/fuschia color of this plate and I'm not having any luck. I have Americolor fuschia but it looks like a purple grape juice stain compared to the pink that I need. I've tried adding electric pink and deep pink to it, and it hasn't helped.

I have Wilton Rose pink and Americolor pink, deep pink and electric pink.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
LL

16 replies
CWR41 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:11am
post #2 of 17

It looks more burgundy to me... do you have burgundy?

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 17

nope, I don't have any burgundy. I don't have the actual plate to match it to, but I know it's a fuschia or hot pink color.

This is a cake that my friend sent me a picture of that matches the theme. I've asked the decorator what color they used to get that particular pink. I have to have this done for Saturday, so I hope they can get back to me. http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplysweets/3698011179/?addedcomment=1#comment72157624365734459

cakewhiz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:38am
post #4 of 17

Erinalicia....you have asked the million dollar question. I call this color "raspberry" and I have been trying to achieve this color for 34 years.....with no luck at all. I hate to tell you the amount of different colored food colorings and different combinations I have tried in attempting to achieve this color. I cannot do it.

So now, if any customer of mine gives me this color as a sample of what they want on their cake, I tell them right away, "I can't do it" and save myself time and frustration in trying to achieve it.

PiccoloChellie Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:39am
post #5 of 17

I get a similar color with Americolor electric purple. Any way you can get your hands on that in time?

yummy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:51am
post #6 of 17

I was going to say electric purple to. I just looked at it in a catalog I have. I would start with 2-3 drops and let rest for a couple of hours to see how dark it gets then add a drop at time if needed until it's a shade a little lighter than you want it and let rest again.

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:01am
post #7 of 17

Ok look up "raspberry food color" and found this.

Sugar craft color mixing chart

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm

Raspberry - 3 parts Bakers Rose & 1 part Christmas Red

But after cakewhiz's comment of searching for 34 years...I think I might have to avoid the raspberry color, along with lavender, which is also troublesome. Let us know what you come up with. thumbs_up.gif

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #8 of 17

ok...fine... ugarsa raftca ebsitewa, eezga. yes that's pig latin, first letter goes to the end and add an "a" according to DH. thumbs_up.gif

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:03am
post #9 of 17

Thanks everyone! I have to have it for this Saturday, so not enough time to order anything new and the only thing that is available near me is Wilton products. I think she may just get some variation of the pinks I have or she'll get the grape juice stain colored blob I already have... LOL

When I first bought the Americolor fuschia and used it, it was the color I'm looking for, but it's been a while since I've used it and it's more purple now if that's even possible. I guess it's just old.

Oh, well... It's not worth the frustration.

pixiefuncakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:26am
post #10 of 17

Hi, I'm writing from Australia ........ so I can only assume that Wilton colours are universal. I have achieved a hot pink (leaning towards flouro) using wilton rose and wilton pink mixed together. I wish you good luck!

sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:28am
post #11 of 17

Have you tried Americolor deep pink?

sweettreat101 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:32am
post #12 of 17

Don't know if you can get this brand of gel but I have the color chart for Cake Craft superior food color and it looks like Fuchsia pink or Chinese red.

ChucKles Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:43am
post #13 of 17

I would try a pink colour with a touch of ruby/deep red, not sure if you have access to the red colours though....

sweet_T7 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:00am
post #14 of 17

Just throwing this out there----what if you made a Yellow.....then gradually added electric pink to it til you get your color??? icon_smile.gif

yumcake06 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #15 of 17

It is s burgundy only add a little color at a time and let it sit a little before adding more.

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #16 of 17

thanks everyone! I have Wilton "no taste red" and "rose" I also have Americolor pink, deep pink, fuschia, electric pink, super red, and christmas red. I'll have to see if I can find some burgundy somewhere. What a frustrating color to match!

I thought about using deep pink with a little electric pink and add a touch of the regal purple, but I'm afraid to try it at this point.

7yyrt Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 6:41pm
post #17 of 17

tinygoose,
ellyay atway ethay awyerslay, orrysay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%