Engagement Cake

Decorating By DeezTreatz Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 12:47am by DeezTreatz

DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:17am
post #1 of 22

I have an order for an engagement cake... I was thinking of doing the two hearts intertwined, or side-by-side (one of the hearts up side down)
They want the color teal for sure, and maybe white?
Should I do this one - they requested buttercream...
And I was thinking of putting a black ribbon around the hearts as a border- but black isn't really good for a engagement is it? And i'm not sure how the icing will take the ribbon? Help meee icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
nana_marta Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 22

Deep breath-- exhale--- okay, good, now, Is this an engagement party or are they actually getting engaged?
Did you look in the gallerie for ideas that other CCers have done?
Will this be a stacked cake? How many people?
We need a little more info before we can help, but we will help! That is what we are here for Just let us knowsome specifics icon_wink.gif !

yummy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:10am
post #3 of 22

Super nice engaagement cake right here right along the lines of what you want to do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1614133.html

yummy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:27am
post #5 of 22

In there colors, this is lovely.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natiscakes/2898484890/

DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 22

Love all of those cakes!! I really like the teal one and gold/white one! Exactly what I was thinking
They want buttercream icing though - no fondant - so I will have to smooth it nicely... and use icing as a ribbon effect maybe?

Its for about 40-50 people... and it is an engagement party. I'm thinking I should do two layers for each heart?
Should I do both of the hearts teal, or one white, one teal - with those litte silver edible candy balls on top of cake and side?

nana_marta Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 22

Yummy, you sure were right on with all thos pics-great job in finding all of them, makes me want to do a heart cake! Who carries those swoosy heart pans?

If it were me, which it's not, it's you, but I liked the hearts the same color, sort of now two hearts are one symbolism thing. I think different colors would not be the same effect. And I like the dragee effect too. I think you are on to your design my dear! Keep us updated. thumbs_up.gif

yummy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks ladies.

Nana-marta, I know I want to do a double heart cake too.

Personally I like the silver and white combo with the teal. There's silver on the sides and it looks so pretty.

White or silver covered board with teal ribbon around side.

All teal, they don't want any fondant, do the diamond impressions on sides (like in the gold and white cake) with dragees in white and silver. Names in silver, one single white flower (I'm picturing a lily)above her name and below his name (like in the g and w cake).

Please post pictures when done.

DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 22

I will for sure post pictures! I'll put them in this post.
Can you buy silver icing? Or would I just add a little black?

Woo! I am excited now! Do I have to put anything behind the ribbon - or will it loose greasy once it touches the cake??

DeezTreatz Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 22

I think I will go with this look! http://www.flickr.com/photos/2.....933138591/
Thanks so much guys!!

I will replace the gold with teal - and use silver dragees.. icon_wink.gif and maybe a teal ribbon - silver writing - Amazing idea!!!!

yummy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 22

You can add a little black to white bc to get grey, then paint over the letters with a small fine artist brush with nu-silver luster dust mixed with vodka.

nana_marta Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 22

So I'm so all about the swooshy tails on those hearts. Is that a pan or carved or what? icon_confused.gif I want to do the swooshy hearts!!! icon_cry.gif deezdelight, will you swoosh or plain? Either will be super cute I know. Great Luck!!.

yummy Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #14 of 22

nana_marta, you might have to carve that one. I just tried to find the pan through google and nothing is coming up, I even tried to find the shape and nothing.

Good news though, if you click on the link to the teal cake (that's the first one I tried) on top of the picture in the upper left hand corner, it says all sizes, click on it and it enlarges the picture. You can try to enlarge it more through your print process. Print out as big as you can get it. If you can't print it to the size you want, take it to a copier (Staples) and have them enlarge it to the size you need. Ask them if they can laminate it for you (I'm not sure if they can laminate anything over tha standard paper size 8x11.) if they can, ask if they have the thin laminate ( I got something laminated by them that I needed for a cake and when I got it home I went to cut the shape out and it was killing my hands). Once it's laminated and cut out you have a reusable template and you can carve away.

Jo-melia Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #15 of 22

This is probably no help to anyone in the US, but if you scroll down this page they have a 'funky' heart tin, that looks kind of the same! http://www.completecakedec.com.au/tins.htm

Q-Squared Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #16 of 22

I agree with all the posts on here -- I love these hearts!! There are some awesome ideas being thrown around, and I'm excited to see what you finally come up with!

My opinion: with the color scheme, I think a little black would look nice -- especially as a border. I would use a thin ribbon -- a REAL ribbon. Just attach it like you would anything else -- with a little buttercream, gumtext, whatever. What I'm picturing in my head is like the very first picture linked in the above posts where it's just a thin ribbon, but in black. I think it would look sharp.

And I don't think it would look "bad" for engagement. It's just an accent color, and looks very elegant.

nana_marta Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #17 of 22

Jo-melia, Yes, that looks like it!~ But yikes, look at the price! I will have to really think on that one! Maybe we can find another one just a bit cheaper for cheap me! I hate to sound stupid( Who am I kidding, I sound that way a lot!) icon_redface.gif but are those American dollars or Australian currency or????

Yummy, you may have a good idea there with your pattern idea. i also got no where with a google search.

But I won't give up easily, and neither will deezdelight and her beautiful engagement cake! thumbs_up.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #18 of 22

nana marta - I am going to do the swooshy hearts! I believe it is carved!
Its for next Saturday so I will put them up as soon as I can! Woot can't wait!

I got my heart shaped pan from Sears.. its a lagostina $25 canadian.

http://www.sears.ca/stores/shop/search?Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=baking&storeId=10051&N=100000344&langId=1&catalogId=10001&Ntk=level1&internalSearch=true&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&isRefinement=true&D=baking

Jo-melia Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:17am
post #19 of 22

nana marta ; it's in australian dollars and I hadn't even looked at the price, I just knew I had seen it somewhere. icon_redface.gif But... now that you mention it - I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon either! icon_lol.gificon_eek.gif

DeezTreatz Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #20 of 22

Here is the cake!
The buttercream crusted very fast.. and took a lot of water to get it to thin.. it must be the weather here! But I think it turned out ok.
I worked on it for quite a while!
Hope you guys like it!
LL

nana_marta Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #21 of 22

The color turned out just beautiful! I'm sorry but my computer doesn't show the sides of the hearts very well, did you quilt? They turned out just lovely! I know they loved them! Good job my dear!

DeezTreatz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:47am
post #22 of 22

Thank you icon_smile.gif I just put white dragees on the sides of the cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%