Cake Taste Testing???

Decorating By mamamade Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 11:11pm by jillmakescakes

mamamade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamamade Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:00am
post #1 of 7

I have two potential orders for wedding cakes. They will be my first, so that's scary enough. They want to do cake taste testing and I don't know how to do this ...Is there a cost effective way to make cake samples?? Can I make mini cakes and freeze the remaining cake for future testing or will that take away from the original taste? Sorry, confused on this one..

6 replies
JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:15am
post #2 of 7

I have the same question! Glad to see I'm not the only one! icon_biggrin.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 7

Same question from me. Do you make a 6 inch and torte and fill as if it were a regular size, or do you make cupcakes and stick in your fillings?

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 7

Here is a great thread on cake tastings: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603461-tastings.html . It has many awesome ideas!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 7

Cake tastings are not hard. I just bake 6 " rounds when I have extra batter. When cool I slice into 6 or 8 wedges and freeze the whole cake. Then I take out slices as needed and place on "tasting plate" along with a couple of samples of frosting and filling. Add a fork (s) and they can mix/match cake, frosting and filling. My tastings are for two people only; I pick flavors, but will try to accomodate special requests if I can. My tastings are free at the consultation and only for wedding cakes over $100.
It's just a tasting, not dessert or an opportunity for free food, so portions should be small. My frozen samples keep in the freezer (tightly wrapped) for a month or two. Good luck.

mamamade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamamade Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for the help, I wasn't sure how long you can keep them frozen..

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 7

Unless you are able to do several tastings in one day (or within a few days), you're gonna have extra cake. You can choose to send the extra home with the couple (which I usually did if they signed on the spot) or give it to friends/family/neighbors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%