Best Medium For My First Sculpted Toppers?

Decorating By Sun11598 Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm by TexasSugar

Sun11598 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a ball pit cake for my son & 2 other boys who will be turning 2 in August. I'll be doing the balls out of fondant - I already bought the crappy wilton stuff just because it's already the bright colors I need.

I also want to do 3D figures of the boys but I'm not sure if fondant is the best medium to work with or if I should use gumpaste..or some mixture of the two...or something else all together?! I have used fondant - both MMF and Satin Ice - for covering cakes and making flat characters/stars/letters etc. for the sides/tops, but I've not tried anything 3d yet. So I'm open to all tips!

5 replies
Sun11598 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 6

nonilm Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 6

It depends on how big your figures will be and how they will be posed, standing, arms out, etc. I would suggest trying a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste mixture. The fondant gives you a little extra working time because 100% gumpaste will dry pretty quickly. But the 50/50 mixture will take longer to dry. You could always just add a small amount of fondant to your gumpaste, I think it makes the texture easier to work with. You will need to support the pieces until they dry so they don't droop or flatten.

Have you thought about using modeling chocolate? It's super easy to make and VERY easy to work with. I like it better than fondant or gumpaste for sculpting.

Sun11598 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I'm open to modeling chocolate - I didn't realize you could make it! The figures are probably going to be about 1.5-2 inches tall. I'm not worried about legs since they'll be sitting in the balls...and i probably will have their arms up.

nonilm Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 6

Chocolate is more like sculpting clay. For your project you could probably make small children using "balls" for the body and head, then add arms. It depends how you want them to look. Here is a Wilton tutorial for making kids. Fondant/gumpaste would work for this.

Here's one example on CC

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures!

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 6

The little guys I made for my Skate park cake were made out of Fondant mixed with gum tex. You can mix in gumpaste as well. What the gumpaste mixed in or the gum text added does is help the piece dry faster, which will help them hold their shapes better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%