Had To Get This Off My Chest

Decorating By DH2008 Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 2:14am by DH2008

DH2008 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #1 of 30

So a lady calls today to ask about my 1/4 sheet price. Being in the small town that I am, my prices are fairly reasonable(I think). Told her 35.00 for a flat sheet and add 15.00 if she wants it double stacked and filled.

She was all like "OH, umm yeah, I might call you back". If you know you want to pay walmart prices- GO TO WALMART! IT costs me close to what walmrt charges to MAKE my cakes from scratch. I cant just give them away. I kringe when people call about sheet cakes. Cant they be more creative? I know moneys tight right now, but me too!

And then I came across a lady whos gettin married in NY soon. She wants CAKE BOSS to do her cake and she told her fiance it should cost around 300.00-500.00!!! Are you serious? Hes on tv honey, itll cost more than that(right?) She proceeds to tell me he thuoght that was crazy and that its JUST CAKE!!!!! She then says hes gonna try to make it himself.

It took everyhting I had not to CRACK UP and say "good luck". Instead I said " Its harder than you think and a lot of work, I know because I do cakes." and walked off.

29 replies
bakin4u_N_lovinit Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #2 of 30

I would love to see the cake when he got done with it hahahahaha i have been doing cakes for around 13 years and I am still learning on some stuff ESPECIALLY FONDANT

shelly-101 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 30

I know how you feel. i have a minimum of 80.00 no exceptions i don't do sheet cakes i figure if they want a sheet cake they can go to wal-mart it's just not worth my time nothing against sheet cakes i have seen a lot of super cute ones i just personally don't like them and that is my opinion. if people call me and tell me i am to expensive which happens all of the time i just tell my self they get what they pay for.

ArtsyLady Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:03am
post #4 of 30

On one episode of Ace of Cakes this happens to Duff. A lady calls and wants a simple three tiered cake and when Mary Alice tells her how much it was the lady says "Oh my God." And then tells Mary Alice that she took decorating classes a few years ago and could probably just do it herself. Duff laughed and said "Well tell her she can call us 24/7 and we'll walk her through it when she gets in trouble. And while she's at it she can bleep my bleep." I don't know what he said there but it wasn't nice. So even the really experienced and famous people have to deal with the same crap we do. I wish they would post the prices on those shows. I think it would help all of us out a whole lot.

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #5 of 30

When I was talking to the girl who ordered my film reel cake (co-worker of hubby), she asked about pricing and I said right up front, "Let's be clear from the start ..... I don't have walmart pricing. But also remember that you're not getting a walmart cake." And then went on with the pricing conversation.

But I stop that argument right from the git-go.

Aeropanda Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:18am
post #6 of 30

I used the preemptive "I'm not wal-mart" comment just today! It really does work. People know up front that your quality is better, thus the price will reflect that.

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #7 of 30

If you want a cheap cake, go to WalMart. If you want a good cake, it's going to cost you.

I don't have a problem with people not being able to afford an expensive cake, I do have a problem with them treating me like a criminal because I make expensive cakes, or acting like I'm overcharging for something that is SO easy to do themselves. Don't be frickin' insulting, just politely say, "That's out of my price range, thank you for your time."

thatslifeca Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:01am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

If you want a cheap cake, go to WalMart. If you want a good cake, it's going to cost you.

I don't have a problem with people not being able to afford an expensive cake, I do have a problem with them treating me like a criminal because I make expensive cakes, or acting like I'm overcharging for something that is SO easy to do themselves. Don't be frickin' insulting, just politely say, "That's out of my price range, thank you for your time."

I'm with Melvira on this one. icon_biggrin.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #9 of 30

Sometimes i tell them "tell me what you want to pay, and i will tell you what I can make for you."

quietude Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #10 of 30
Quote:

I totally agree, I just had a lady today wanting a 3-tier cake for nothing who got an attitude when I gave her the price...Seriously, did you really expect to pay $75 for a 3-tier cake icon_mad.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #11 of 30

I too cringe when I get asked for sheet cakes.

cr8zchpr Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:33am
post #12 of 30

I read somewhere or heard it on TV, that a cake doesn't leave Duff's bakery for less than $500.00. I imagine that must be for the more basic cakes, which is what I would expect to pay for a baker on TV. Some people just have no clue to what it cost. When I have tasting for wedding I always have wedding magazines with articles on cakes. They tend to show pricing. I go forth with design conversation and when it comes to pricing if they feel it's too much, I bring in the mags, show them. Usually they run about $15.00 to $18.00 a slice, then my pricing doesn't look so bad. I'm not saying that I compare, but I think I can give them what they want... Especially when they bring me pics of cakes that cost $1,200 and want to pay $200.00 I politely tell them to go to the bakery down the street, they may be able to help them...

tinygoose Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zchpr

I read somewhere or heard it on TV, that a cake doesn't leave Duff's bakery for less than $500.00. I imagine that must be for the more basic cakes, which is what I would expect to pay for a baker on TV. Some people just have no clue to what it cost. When I have tasting for wedding I always have wedding magazines with articles on cakes. They tend to show pricing. I go forth with design conversation and when it comes to pricing if they feel it's too much, I bring in the mags, show them. Usually they run about $15.00 to $18.00 a slice, then my pricing doesn't look so bad. I'm not saying that I compare, but I think I can give them what they want... Especially when they bring me pics of cakes that cost $1,200 and want to pay $200.00 I politely tell them to go to the bakery down the street, they may be able to help them...

Actually, Duff's minimum for a simple cake is $1,000. It's on his website.

cr8zchpr Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:57am
post #14 of 30

See I stand corrected, he's twice as expensive as I thought and i sell cake!!! What would you then expect from a consumer.... uuugghhh

Ruth0209 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 4:48am
post #15 of 30

I've had about four former co-workers lately who've asked me for a cake, but when I told them the price they just said, "Oh, that's a little out of my budget. Thanks anyway." At least they're polite about it and don't try to talk me down.

ArtsyLady Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:59am
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

Sometimes i tell them "tell me what you want to pay, and i will tell you what I can make for you."

This is how we do it at the florist where I work. We ask the budget, the color and style, and the event, and then we make something accordingly. I never thought about it, but I bet this would be a good way to start the pricing conversation for cakes too.

aprilblack Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:39am
post #17 of 30

I had a coworker recently who wanted to place an order for two dozen cake balls. I have worked with her for close to 9 years, so I quoted her a price with a substantial discount already factored in. Needless to say, she bawked at the price and commented that she would go buy a box of DH mix and some canned frosting and make some herself. I told her GL and that she was going to get just that... a box of DH and a can of frosting. Then I calmly looked at her and asked did she think that I was suppose to do them for nothing? That I DO have to pay for ingredients and it DOES actually take time to do... Needless to say, she still ordered them in agreed for my price and ended up paying me extra in the end. Why do you want to give someone a hard time for nothing? That is just not being nice.

Aeropanda Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #18 of 30

Fortunately, there are those that know the time and work put into these creations. My best friend won't hand out one of my cards without mentioning how much work I put into making them taste great and look special. Most of the referrals I have gotten from her have had no problems with my pricing. Sometimes it pays to have great friends to help out!

adamsmom Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:10pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When I was talking to the girl who ordered my film reel cake (co-worker of hubby), she asked about pricing and I said right up front, "Let's be clear from the start ..... I don't have walmart pricing. But also remember that you're not getting a walmart cake." And then went on with the pricing conversation.

But I stop that argument right from the git-go.

Oh, Indy I love how you word things! icon_lol.gif I may have to use that one for my next client if you don't mind icon_biggrin.gif

christeena Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:12pm
post #20 of 30

I had a friend of a friend call a few months ago wanting a two tiered baby shower cake with baby feet all over it to serve 25 people and when I told her that it would cost $50 dollars, I got several sob stories on her life as to why she just could not afford this cake and could I do it for $40. I hated to to do it but I just did not back down on the price and I lost the order. I had two wedding cakes for the same day so I'm not missing it but I'm tired of giving away my time! I felt that $50 dollars was a bargain in the first place!

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I had a friend of a friend call a few months ago wanting a two tiered baby shower cake with baby feet all over it to serve 25 people and when I told her that it would cost $50 dollars, I got several sob stories on her life as to why she just could not afford this cake and could I do it for $40. I hated to to do it but I just did not back down on the price and I lost the order. I had two wedding cakes for the same day so I'm not missing it but I'm tired of giving away my time! I felt that $50 dollars was a bargain in the first place!

Good for you!! We ALL have a sob story, and sometimes it's just that... a story the person is conditioned to use to get his/her way. You will BE a sob story if you keep giving in to them.

neelycharmed Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 7:54pm
post #22 of 30

I 100% agree!
I really wish cake boss and ace of cakes would put the prices on the shows- that way people actually wouldn't mind paying our prices.
icon_smile.gifJodi

deMuralist Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 8:24pm
post #23 of 30

From the Charm City Cakes Website...

How much are your cakes?
Because all of our cakes are priced individually by the complexity of their design, we do not have a standard price list.

Due to the care we give to each cake and the one-of-a-kind nature of each order, we require a minimum of $1000 on all of our cakes.

http://www.charmcitycakes.com/order-faq#9

edited to add:here is info on Cake Boss pricing...

http://www.carlosbakery.com/About/FAQ.php

dguerrant Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:27pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtsyLady

On one episode of Ace of Cakes this happens to Duff. A lady calls and wants a simple three tiered cake and when Mary Alice tells her how much it was the lady says "Oh my God." And then tells Mary Alice that she took decorating classes a few years ago and could probably just do it herself. Duff laughed and said "Well tell her she can call us 24/7 and we'll walk her through it when she gets in trouble. And while she's at it she can bleep my bleep." I don't know what he said there but it wasn't nice. So even the really experienced and famous people have to deal with the same crap we do. I wish they would post the prices on those shows. I think it would help all of us out a whole lot.

Here a while bake i went to their website and it statedthat thier minimum charge is $1000 for the 'simple' cakes. I make sure and tell people that when they want a Duff or cake Boss cake for very little money, oh i actually had one say, "Well, you're not either one of them." My reply "your right, but the cake is the same and your getting it for half thier price, seeing that i'm not famous, that's reasonable icon_smile.gif"

Melvira Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaguerrant

"Well, you're not either one of them."

Oh no they didn't. Tell me they didn't. I would have snapped like a dry twig. icon_evil.gif

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:23pm
post #26 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

Oh no they didn't. Tell me they didn't. I would have snapped like a dry twig. icon_evil.gif

I also do the pre-emptive strike on that one. When I heard "Duff" or "oh, I just LUV that Ace of Cakes show!", I'd head 'em off at the pass with ....

"Oh so do I! (drop voice to conspiratorial whisper) Did you know ..... that Duff has a one THOUSAND dollar minimum? And I'll guarantee you that the cakes you see on his show are no where NEAR a lousy thousand dollar cake. The good news is I'm not QUITE that expensive. Now ..... what were you looking for?" icon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously, you could SEE them back track a bit on what they were going to be expecting! heh heh heh heh!

JulieMN Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Quote:

I also do the pre-emptive strike on that one. When I heard "Duff" or "oh, I just LUV that Ace of Cakes show!", I'd head 'em off at the pass with ....

"Oh so do I! (drop voice to conspiratorial whisper) Did you know ..... that Duff has a one THOUSAND dollar minimum? And I'll guarantee you that the cakes you see on his show are no where NEAR a lousy thousand dollar cake. The good news is I'm not QUITE that expensive. Now ..... what were you looking for?" icon_twisted.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Seriously, you could SEE them back track a bit on what they were going to be expecting! heh heh heh heh!

That is great!

Gingoodies Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #28 of 30

I really think it is mostly because the average person has no clue how long it takes to produce a tiered cake.

A bride came into the store where I work, to pay for her wedding favors. While there she was also picking up silver dragees for her wedding cake. She was complaining somewhat that the "free" wedding cake that was part of her package was costing her money now. She had to purchase ribbon and the dragees.

I asked if these items were part of her original design. "No" was her reply. She added that she requested a quilted pattern be put on the cake and it be studded with the silver balls. She had also asked the baker to make flowers out of modeling chocolate for the cake, but was told it would cost an additional amount of money.

I politely told her that just doing the quilting and dragess would probably add at least an hour or two more to making her cake and forming flowers out of modeling chocolate would take days.

Needless to say, she was surprised by what I told her.

The tv shows are nice, but sometimes create more headaches for the rest of the industry. The average person really needs to be educated about the process.

Btrfly578 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #29 of 30

Good one Indydebi. A lot of you are right, it does take time. I made a simple Train cake for my Nephew and it took me almost an hour to carve it and put it all together (Frost, etc.). It's not as easy as a lot of people think.

DH2008 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #30 of 30

And the tv shows have a crapload of people working on 1 cake, a dishwasher i'm sure, & people to deal w/ the customers. Alot of us do ALL of it by ourselves, especially if its out of our home."Why does it take 2-3 days to do 1 cake?" BECAUSE I AM ONLY 1 PERSON!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%