Saggy Fondant

Decorating By TiffySue Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 5:39am by mamawrobin

TiffySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffySue Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 7

This is so annoying, I dropped the cake off with the customer, and then she posted this pic on my website. She was completely happy with the cake but of course I noticed the sagging at the bottom. How can I prevent this from happening in the future??? Pleaaaase I really don't want this to happen again![/img]
LL

6 replies
obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #2 of 7

How long are you letting your cakes settle before the icing / decorating?
Do you refridgerate?

TiffySue Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

I refrigerated after applying the buttercream, it stayed in there for probably a couple hours, applied the fondant, and left out. It stayed great for several hours, I dropped off in the evening and this pic was taken the next day. It looks like it's in the heat too. But this is not the first time this has happened to my cakes. What am I doing wrong?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:05am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagunts

I refrigerated after applying the buttercream, it stayed in there for probably a couple hours, applied the fondant, and left out. It stayed great for several hours, I dropped off in the evening and this pic was taken the next day. It looks like it's in the heat too. But this is not the first time this has happened to my cakes. What am I doing wrong?

You should NEVER cover a COLD cake with fondant. I do "flash freeze" like Sharon (sugarshack) I put my iced cake in the freezer for 15 minutes. This is enough time to firm up your cake but not enough time to change the internal temperature of your cake. thumbs_up.gif

Also, do you elevate your cakes when you cover with fondant? I usually use the next smaller size cake pan to sit my cake on when I cover with fondant...this allows the fondant of kind of hang rather than sit flat against my work table. Doing this will prevent the kind of "sagging" that I see in your photo.

TiffySue Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 7

Thank you, I have not tried elevating it to cover with the fondant, however since this cake I have read several articles that agree with that method. I will be trying that next time, and also I will try the freezer for 15 mins instead of in the fridge for hours. Hopefully I can do better on the next! Thanks for the tips! icon_rolleyes.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:28am
post #6 of 7

...and most importantly, don't forget what obabassa said about letting your cake settle before you ice and decorate.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 5:39am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

...and most importantly, don't forget what obabassa said about letting your cake settle before you ice and decorate.

CWR41 is absolutely right. It is VERY important to allow your cake time to settle before covering with fondant. I cannot believe that I skipped right over that one. That is definitely something I should have mentioned as well. After leveling and filling my cakes I wrap in plastic wrap and add some weight (usually a ceramic tile or book) on top and let it settle before crumbcoating and covering with fondant. It's also a good idea to make a dam out of stiffened buttercream to hold your filling.

By doing these steps you can prevent your cakes from having the bulging where the layers meet.

icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%