Translating These Themes Into One Cake:

Decorating By mandymakescakes Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm by allaboutcakeuk

mandymakescakes Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #1 of 4

An old co-worker of mine is celebrating her birthday in a couple of weeks and I offered to make her a cake for her party (about 60-80 ppl, she has a really large family). Knowing she's particular about things, I asked her what she would like, and this is what I got in reply:

top, circle of friends, all in yellow
middle, blue [the word usana, pictures of vitamins, rev 3 in a can]
first, yoga + family

Huh??? Okay, so the top tier I've got covered. I'll use the image below to cut a "pattern" from fondant/gumpaste and surround the tier in relief... but tiers two and three, I'm at a loss.

For the middle, I can use the Usana logo (this is gift cake), but it's ugly. Plain and simple. I can make small vitamins from MMF or something and cover the edge of the tier as a border, but won't that make it look like she's either a nurse or a drug addict?

For the first/bottom, I could add yoga mats to the side (some rolled, some unrolled), a silhouette of a yoga pose or two, or three, but for the family part, I'm just not sure. And how to incorporate the two? She doesn't take her teenage sons or husband to yoga with her.

We're supposed to talk later tonight, but I'd like to have an idea of where this cake is headed, or shouldn't be, before then.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!!

3 replies
yummy Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 2:03am
post #2 of 4

I'm not even going to attempt to suggest anything. I don't want my head to start hurting. That's a hard one there, good luck.

hvanaalst Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 4

That is a pretty bizarre request for a cake, but obviously she knows what she wants.

If I were making a cake like this I think I would pick two really nice colors and do the whole cake in those two colors so that it has unitly. The circle of friends easy enough, one color the base, one color the people. The middle layer again, one base color and then the usana logo and rev and vitamin shapes in the other color, then for the bottom layer one base color then maybe for the yoga/family maybe one of those Stick figure families but make her instead of standing, in a yoga pose.

If you want a bit more color variety maybe do the base of each of the three layers in a different shade of the same color and then all the accent stuff on all three layers in the same color.

Keeps in unified and doesn't look like you threw everything you could think of on a cake icon_smile.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 4

Hi there, I had a cake like this - a guy who had tons of different hobbies - it was very hard to think how to put it all together. What I did was break it down into "scenes" and did a square cake with a scene round either side. You could do something similar and on the top have the logo. I did a diving/sea scene one side, skiing scene the other, go karting on one and farming on the other and on the top his favourite car. Even I was surprised how well it all tied in!!. I would do the cake in plain fondant and then add bits round each side.

I've attached a pic to give you an idea of how I broke it down

Good luck its always a tough one having lots to go on one cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%