Cupcake First

Baking By joxdx Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm by joxdx

joxdx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joxdx Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 3

would anyone help with some advice I've agreed to make 100 cupcakes for a wedding and it will be my first time making them does anyone have any advice/hints/tips/do's & don'ts pleaseeeeeee x x x thankyou icon_eek.gif

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 12:41pm
post #2 of 3

You may have bitten off more than you can chew on this one, if you have never made cupcakes before. BUT, it is doable. You will need to read alot of threads on here, and practice a fair amount.

First, find out what flavours the bride wants. Then get on here and search the recipes for a good one, and practice. If you already make cakes, you can use your usual cake recipe and just fill the cupcake liners with it no problem. I bake vanilla and chocolate cupcakes at 160ºC for 17 exact minutes, but you will likely have to adjust that for your recipe.

You will need to buy a cupcake pan (try Lakeland in the UK) and liners. You can get very pretty ones for weddings, plain or patterned. I buy regular white greaseproof ones from Cakey Makey in the UK but they have coloured ones too. Try to get greaseproof ones though as they will still show the colour/pattern on the liner. In general, the more you spend, the better quality the liner.

You can start baking the wedding cupcakes way before the wedding and freeze them in ziploc bags. This will mean less stress in the days running up to the wedding, when you need to spend a lot of time preparing buttercream and any decorations, agreeing with the bride on what she wants. You can pipe icing onto frozen cupcakes, and I would do this when they are sitting in the box you use for delivery. The less handling you can do after decoration, the better in my opinion.

You will also need to think about a cupcake stand. You can buy, rent, or make your own. You need to ask the bride what she wants. If you want to make your own, check out instructions on Cake Journal. The ones that are in my photos were made based on those instructions, but I used thick cake circles rather than drums. I covered it all in washable wall paper which I glued on.

I just hope the wedding is not next week, since I truly believe you need to spend a lot of time on practicing. Good luck though!

joxdx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joxdx Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 3

your advice has helped lots thankyou.
i got in touch with the bride and had a long discussion on all the things you mentioned she provided the cases, the venue are providing the stand and as long as she has 100 cupcakes for her big day shes happy lol although the colours are definetly her personal choice lol (blue-red-purple-yellow buttercream topping ) ??? have also practiced with my own cake recipe which worked better than i thought.
so thankyou very much for replying. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%