I Hate The Heat! I Hate Bc! I Hate Summer Birthdays!

Decorating By Elcee Updated 14 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm by Elcee

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 3

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1740100

OMG! icon_cry.gif I just gave up on DH's birthday cake disaster. It just is what it is! The plan was so cute. I did an 8 x 8 square layer and cut it in 1/2 to layer them to form an 8 x 4 rectangular box/present. Made his favorite fudge BC recipe. PLANNED on no fondant since he doesn't like it. Now, I have struggled with smooth BC since I started decorating. I feel like every time I start to make progress, I regress...I was starting to think I was getting some pretty decently smooth BC. Not on this cake...ooh no! Tried EVERYTHING! So, cake is covered in chocolate fondant icon_sad.gif (Duff's, BTW, 1st time with it and I actually liked it).

Next step is to apply the ribbon, that went OK. I was making and applying tiny little squares of red fondant as design on the "wrapping paper" when I RAN OUT OF RED FONDANT! Yup, ran out. I tried to quickly make some more and we all know how that works, right? SO, I remove all of the already applied squares and do my best to wipe off the residue of wet, sticky, gooey fondant they left behind.

In the meantime, the BC under the fondant is getting softer and softer (I put on a lot more BC than I normally would under fondant) and my little cake is becoming more and more mis-shapen by the minute, with the fondant buckling and drooping. I finally just put it on the prepared board and applied the bow (I had made the loops yesterday). Whoo hoo, the bow comes out nice! icon_smile.gif I go to attach the tag, and wouldn't you know, I made it so it needs to be attached facing the WORST side of the cake.

Sorry this was so long...thanks for listening...I actually feel better already. At least I know it will taste great!

2 replies
iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 3

So sorry you had such a hard time with his cake. I think it looks fine BTW!

How is it, that when we make things (like the tag) in advance they ALWAYS face or are turned, or only fit so that the ugly side shows. Happens at least 75% of the time here. icon_confused.gif

Happy Birthday to your Sweetie! party.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the sympathy. He really liked his cake and I was right about the taste...great!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%